Sealing eating vessels - Pictures at last... :-)

  • Sevarian/Crispin
    Message 1 of 71 , Aug 20, 2007
      Thanks all for your input and helpfulness when I brought up the subject of "Food-safe" finishings just before Pensic.

      I have now made 8 platters/plates, using a variety of different methods (from fully manual with a gouge ("Owww, my sore hands, shoulders etc"), through fully routed (not so pretty) to a combination of angle-grinder, gouge and sandpaper).

      Here is a link to my lady-wife's flickr page with some pics of the first batch of finished items.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/quadrapop/tags/platters/

      The size is 260mm x 150mm x 19mm (10.25" x 6" x .75"), depth in these is about 8mm (3/8").

      These are finished with Organoil Woodwipe (Tung oil + orange).

      My second set are Bees-waxed and then finished with Woodwipe, and had MUCH finer sides/base (sides about 6mm (1/4"), and base about 3mm (1/8"), these feel much nicer in the hand...

      Cheers,
          Crispin

      On 27/07/07, Sevarian/Crispin <sca.sevarian@...> wrote:
      I shall have to concentrate on finishing the first one so I can get something up for my "adoring masses" <grin>.

      I managed to get Tung Oil yesterday, as well as a Citrus/Tung oil preparation called Organoil (www.organoil.com.au)  Woodwipe

      On 27/07/07, slarm1 <slarm1@...> wrote:

      As many have suggested, Tung oil is a great finish, just make sure it
      is pure tung oil. Some "tung oil finishes" are actually tung oil based
      varnishes thinned down with mineral spirits. I hope to see some of
      your work pics soon also. Stephan von Hesse

      --
      Crispin Harris
      crispin.harris@...

      --
      Crispin Harris
      crispin.harris@...
      "Well, you know... most Catholics are so boring, you kind of expect them to be fairly reasonable and not, say, frothing papal fanboys with the IQ of a turnip. So he had me fooled. Not any more, though."
      Thanks to Eric The FruitBat (etfb.livejournal.com)
    • Rhys Terafan Greydragon
      Message 71 of 71 , Sep 3, 2007
        Iain,

            I am with both you and Brian Broadaxe, I detest "People's Choice" because it rarely goes to the best item, but often it goes to the fanciest scroll or most glitzy Tudor dress or spiffy looking armour.

        I also understand Brian's frustration with documentation being too much of the total.   I was the author of the current system of judging criteria that Drachenwald uses.  Documentation and Workmanship are each 30% of the total (making 60% from these two), with 20% being Authenticity, 10% for Complexity, and the final 10% for overall Aesthetic value.

        So, a well executed item using authentic materials, tools, and techniques, should always outscore a poorly made item, especially a poorly made one that is done with modern tools, techniques, and materials.

        Depending on the location of the display, the people's choice may be a little better but that will only be an event where A&S is the focus and the majority of folks understand the difficulties of well made items.  You can certainly educate folks, but it takes time.

        cheers,
          Terafan