Re: [MedievalSawdust] My first project

  • Michael Sheldon
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13 2:02 PM
      On 8/12/2007 12:55, Avitoria wrote:
      > I'm looking to spiff up my encampment a bit, and decide that a storage
      > chest would be a good place to start. Could anyone recommend a good
      > book or pattern to follow?

      I'll second the recommendation of a six-board chest, very simple, one
      board for each side. :)

      This is a pretty good link:
      http://www.medievalwoodworking.com/articles/basic_chest1.htm

      I highly recommend extending the sides down to make legs, even if
      they're only 2" long. It will make the box sit more evenly on the ground
      and will keep the bottom from being stressed.

      3/4" wood is very strong in small to mid-sized pieces (even big ones if
      designed properly), and will take a lot of abuse, whether it's pine or
      plywood. Plywood has a lot of advantages, but the edges don't look
      period. Personally, I've found if you use decent quality plywood and
      stain it, few people notice. If you really care, you can cover the edges
      with veneer tape, or you can "band" the edges with thin strips of solid
      wood. Even better *paint* it. Most period pieces I've seen had been
      painted originally. Paint will definitely hide the plywood edges enough
      to be noticeable only at very close distance.

      Pine is easy to find, but *good* pine is not. Most of the stuff in the
      box stores warps like the dickens, mostly from not being dried/stored
      properly. If you really want to use solid wood, I suggest finding a
      store that deals in specialty lumber and/or lumber for the cabinetry trade.

      > Please keep in mind...
      > (1) i am new to woodworking,

      Biggest things to keep in mind:
      Glue may not always be period, but it will provide a LOT of strength.
      Properly glued pieces will break through the wood before the glue bond
      fails. Good old "white" carpenter's glue is usually the best, and the
      easiest to work with. Smooth the pieces so the edges fit as flush as
      possible, spread glue, clamp together tightly, then screw together.

      When using screws, never go into the end grain, always into the face
      or side of the board.

      --
      Michael J Sheldon