Re: [MedievalSawdust] Why the dogwood isn't straight

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 10, 2007
      The last harry potter book.

      and looking it up, alder and elder are actually two different woods.  if i recall correctly, elder is a relative of the mulberry.

      On 8/10/07, Tracy Swanson <tstar2000@...> wrote:

      I've had requests for alder but cannot locate any stock. My philosophy is that I care not what they do (or attempt to do) with the wand, for it is theirs and I have no further control. Of what book do you type?

      In Magical Service,
      Malaki

      --
      That which yields isn't always weak.
    • WR
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 13, 2007
        At the (subtle) suggestion of Beth and Colin, I've looked at the hinges
        again - maybe it's just my eyes, but they're not exactly what I'd call
        "well shown". However...

        Having said that, I used a graphics program to "play around" with the
        pictures - ironically, it was after I *reduced* the images that they
        became obvious! I think. Obvious enough that I can probably devise a
        reasonable working facsimile.

        One of the things that threw me was the metal strap. I was thinking
        that it was a later repair to a "blown out" hinge (wear or wood
        shrinkage causing the hole to enlarge). Then I noticed the same setup
        on the other hinge - is it possible that the whole thing was assembled,
        then a hole bored and the pin inserted? That'd certainly be one way to
        do it, possibly the easiest.

        Thanks for the gentle "Denozo smack!"
        Wolf