RE: [MedievalSawdust] Wands (was dogwood)

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 10, 2007
      I'll get a little off-track here with this. In the 70s Chris Everett and Billie Jean King (like them or not) inspired millions of young girls to develop an interest in tennis. Tiger Woods (like him or not) inspired countless thousands to develop an interest in golf (like it or not). JKRowling has inspired millions of young people to read - like, golly, what's reading?. Hopefully she will inspire some thousands to try their hand at writing. We need more good literature. Just my take.

      Tracy Swanson <tstar2000@...> wrote:
      Thanks for the link - I'll have to read it later today. Rowling, brilliant writer that she is, cannot carry copyright on something about which has been written throughout history. When talking of the wands, and especially in writing, I go out of my way to make sure NOT to call them "Harry Potter wands" or anything of the sort. I usually refer to them as "European", or in a pinch (rarely and never in writing - other than this), "a Potteresque style of wand". Amusingly I refer to the metal-tipped dowel as the "standard" or "American" styled wand, though in reality, it originally came from Europe.

      In Magical Service,
      Malaki
      .

      Hercules was sentenced to spend eternity in Hades (which is NOT Hell). He was allowed out for only one day each year. Once he happened across an old friend who asked him what Hades was like. Hercules, who wasn't too quick-minded, thought a moment and said, "It's like losing everything you own and having to go to work for someone else."

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

    • WR
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 13, 2007
        At the (subtle) suggestion of Beth and Colin, I've looked at the hinges
        again - maybe it's just my eyes, but they're not exactly what I'd call
        "well shown". However...

        Having said that, I used a graphics program to "play around" with the
        pictures - ironically, it was after I *reduced* the images that they
        became obvious! I think. Obvious enough that I can probably devise a
        reasonable working facsimile.

        One of the things that threw me was the metal strap. I was thinking
        that it was a later repair to a "blown out" hinge (wear or wood
        shrinkage causing the hole to enlarge). Then I noticed the same setup
        on the other hinge - is it possible that the whole thing was assembled,
        then a hole bored and the pin inserted? That'd certainly be one way to
        do it, possibly the easiest.

        Thanks for the gentle "Denozo smack!"
        Wolf