Re: Folding Glastonbury Chair

  • Kit Holland
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2007

      Colin,

                  I used a tongue and groove to join the two pieces.  The side rail is oak, and the link is a scrap piece of cherry I had on hand.  Yes, you can sit back in it quite comfortably.  Incidently I used tongue and groove to make the arms as well.  Those are poplar as they don’t need a lot of strength.

      I made the piece you’re asking about about an inch too long.  On the next one, I’ll be shortening it so that when it folds down, it will be flat against the seat.  If you’re wondering about the decorations, all of that is routed in.  I’m not a carver, so I use a spray adhesive to hold a piece of paper with my pattern on it, and just trace it out.  The wife recently bought me a book of celtic knotwork, so I’ve been playing with that.

      Kirk