RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Boxwood?

  • Tracy Swanson
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 8, 2007
      Oops, there was more than one entry for the wood in question (like I said, I only got the book today...). Having now looked up boxwood in the index, let me review all of the entries:

      Boxwood, page 98:
      Dogwood
      Cornus florida (Cornaceae)
      Also called:
      Dogwood Cornus florida (Cornaceae) also called Boxwood, bunchberry,  flowering dogwood, Florida dogwood, cornel and arrow wood.

      Boxwood, European, page 75:
      European Boxwood
      Buxus simpervirens (Buxaceae)
      Also called:
      Box, buis (French), Buchs, Buchsbaum (German), gewone palm (Dutch); also by origin: Turkish, Iranian, etc.

      Boxwood, Maracaibo, page 140:
      Maracaibo Boxwood
      Gossypiospermum praecox (Flacourtiaceae), syn.: Casearia praecox
      Also called:
      Zapatero, palo blanco, agracejo. Also by origin: Columbian, Venezuelan, West Indian Boxwood.

      A bit more complete of a picture...

      In Magical Service,
      Malaki

      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 9, 2007
        as i recall, the man was vehemant against voltaire directly, discussing his sex life in frank detail, ect.  i cant find a link i had read about it a while ago, but heres some info about the missatrubition.

        On 8/9/07, JBRMM266@... <JBRMM266@...> wrote:

        Interesting . . . I've seen that line, pretty much as I gave it, cited in any number of sources.

        I stand corrected.

        I can see how it is a generalized rendition of the sentiment conveyed in the letter.  One has to wonder, though, if he detested the Abbé's writing because he disagreed with it or because he just thought it was bad writing!

        Your servant aye
        Donal