Folding Glastonbury Chair

  • Jim Looper
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2007
      Looks like Aodhfin Seibert beat me to the punch. I was going to post
      the pictures of Kirk's chair to the list, but life jumped up and bit
      me. When I sat down to upload them, they were already there in the "New
      Pictures". Kirk is a very inventive fellow and he is the one who built
      the folding/convertable weapons rack/rolling cart. I have to wait until
      morning before I load those up.

      Jim
    • Kit Holland
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007

        Actually I misposted those on Aodhfin page.  I’ve asked him to remove them.  They are also posted on my own page.  I plan to post a few other projects I’ve got going on as soon as they get a bit more camera ready.

        Happy to be part of the group.

        Kirk

      • jimlooper@embarqmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2007
          Cool! Glad to see you here. I've not been any help here, but I've learned quite a bit.

          Lucien

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2007
            Hi Kirk, welcome to the group. Interesting chair. Can I ask how the
            extra piece is joined onto the back rail? (The short "ear" that makes
            it foldable.) Also, can you lean back in this chair?

            Cheers,
            Colin
          • Kit Holland
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2007

              Colin,

                          I used a tongue and groove to join the two pieces.  The side rail is oak, and the link is a scrap piece of cherry I had on hand.  Yes, you can sit back in it quite comfortably.  Incidently I used tongue and groove to make the arms as well.  Those are poplar as they don’t need a lot of strength.

              I made the piece you’re asking about about an inch too long.  On the next one, I’ll be shortening it so that when it folds down, it will be flat against the seat.  If you’re wondering about the decorations, all of that is routed in.  I’m not a carver, so I use a spray adhesive to hold a piece of paper with my pattern on it, and just trace it out.  The wife recently bought me a book of celtic knotwork, so I’ve been playing with that.

              Kirk