Re: [MedievalSawdust] Boxwood?

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 3, 2007
      Well. I just learned a bit by reading what was available on the internet. Something like 90 different varieties of Boxwood and 150 cultivars. It sounded as though it was difficult to grow because of soil needs, fungi, and insect activity. If you have acreage, you might want to plant some now for retirement income. Forty years ago people planted Black Walnut trees to "get rich" only to find out that they brought so much to market that it depressed the price. I won't cry over that, I like walnut, but it would be difficult to depress the price of boxwood.

      Beth and Bob Matney <bmatney@...> wrote:
      I tried both Woodcraft and Rockler online and it wasn't listed. Plenty of Basswood, as expected, but no Boxwood (Buxus sempervirens) . Malaki,
      would you check your local store? Frederick is in Ft. Smith Arkansas so he's not too far away from you. We have a pretty good hardwoods store here
      in Little Rock and they were the ones who referred me to their imported wood supplier in North Carolina.. but a log (French Boxwood) was more than he needed, and at $27/lb became a bit expensive.

      There are substitutions that can be made, but they would differ from the archaeology in color and grain. Wooden combs require a strong wood or
      they break too easily. Buxus was a popular material for this in Novgorad that was imported from southeast Europe. When the trade routes were disrupted, they went to bone as a utilitarian substitute, but returned to boxwood when it became available again.

      Beth
      .

      On TV commercials: If I had a giant talking woodchuck in my kitchen eating pizza with a fork, I wouldn't be able to sleep either.

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

    • leaking pen
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 9, 2007
        as i recall, the man was vehemant against voltaire directly, discussing his sex life in frank detail, ect.  i cant find a link i had read about it a while ago, but heres some info about the missatrubition.

        On 8/9/07, JBRMM266@... <JBRMM266@...> wrote:

        Interesting . . . I've seen that line, pretty much as I gave it, cited in any number of sources.

        I stand corrected.

        I can see how it is a generalized rendition of the sentiment conveyed in the letter.  One has to wonder, though, if he detested the Abbé's writing because he disagreed with it or because he just thought it was bad writing!

        Your servant aye
        Donal