Re: [SCA-AS] Artist-Blacksmith association

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2003
      jenne@... wrote:
      > May be of interest to some people:

      > ABANA
      > The site for the "Artist-Blacksmith's Association of North
      > America, Inc., a non-profit educational association
      > dedicated to the dissemination of knowledge about the art
      > and craft." The "Resources" section includes an eye-catching
      > gallery of historical and contemporary blacksmithing,
      > discussion boards, and recommended Web sites, books, and
      > videos. Searchable.
      > http://abana.org/
      >
      > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@...

      There are many state groups within that and Australian and
      British Associations too. Probably one local to you.
      Here in NC we have them locally.
      For period tools the Mastermyr Find - A Viking Age Toolchest
      from Gotland by Greta Awidsson can't be beat.
      You can get a copy for $18 plus $2 shipping within the U.S.
      or more elsewhere. I encouraged its reprinting.

      Norm Larson Books,
      5426 E. Hwy 246, Lompoc, CA 93436.
      Fax 805-735-8367, Ph 800-743-4766
      Postage is $2 for first book
      plus $.50 for each additional book to a maximum of $5.00
      larbooks@...

      Has many blacksmithing tools, a few jewellers tools,
      woodworking tools, the chest and its lock in detail,
      a folding fish griddle that suspends and a cauldron.
      The boat apparently turned over in a swamp that eventually
      became a farmed meadow in the early 1900's. The plow
      turned it up. Wonderful assortment.
      You might also try finding (by ILL as it is rare).

      PETERSEN, JAN. Vikingetidens Redskaper.
      [Viking Age Tools], Oslo, 1951.
      Lex 8vo. 536 pp. with 278 text fig.
      Price: DKK 1,500.00 Those are Danish Kronors.
      This has another much smaller smith's tools
      and also articles on viking age swords and
      other things. I haven't entered it into my
      documents for quoting the articles yet.:

      Müller-Wille Michael, Kurt Schietzel (Hrsg.):
      *Offa Berichte und Mitteilungen zur Urgeschichte,
      Frühgeschichte und Mittelalterarchäologie,
      Wachholtz Neumünster Deutschland 1984 Okart.
      Okart. ber. 241 S.° - <Bestellnr. GE 16403>
      m. zahlr. Abb. a. Taf. u. i. Text, sowie Kartenskizzen,
      z. T. gefalt. Aus der Reihe Offa-Bände, *Band 41.*
      [SW: Vor- und Frühgeschichte Urgeschichte Archäologie
      Mittelalter Deutsch Englisch]
      An article or two in English, the rest in German.
      Basically OFFA Volume 41.
      Try http://www.ZVAB.com/ for a German search engine
      or ILL it too. This should be available in the
      $25 to 80 price range depending on individual seller's
      greed. Probably in a good archaeological library like
      Duke's or Chapel Hill's here in NC, USA.
      Magnus, OL, Barony of Windmasters Hill, SCA; Regia.org,
      Manx, GDH.
    • Scott Lane
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2003
        If anyone is interested in hinges or hardware for this chest (or
        any other), feel free to contact me at:
        scotty@...
        I'm finally recovering from Pennsic and will be smithing again
        this weekend. Have gotten a few requests already and would be happy to do
        more.

        In Service,
        Lord Aodhfin Seibert