Re: [MedievalSawdust] Boxwood?

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 2, 2007
      I tried both Woodcraft and Rockler online and it
      wasn't listed. Plenty of Basswood, as expected,
      but no Boxwood (Buxus sempervirens). Malaki,
      would you check your local store? Frederick is in
      Ft. Smith Arkansas so he's not too far away from
      you. We have a pretty good hardwoods store here
      in Little Rock and they were the ones who
      referred me to their imported wood supplier in
      North Carolina.. but a log (French Boxwood) was
      more than he needed, and at $27/lb became a bit expensive.

      There are substitutions that can be made, but
      they would differ from the archaeology in color
      and grain. Wooden combs require a strong wood or
      they break too easily. Buxus was a popular
      material for this in Novgorad that was imported
      from southeast Europe. When the trade routes were
      disrupted, they went to bone as a utilitarian
      substitute, but returned to boxwood when it became available again.

      Beth

      At 05:57 AM 8/2/2007, you wrote:
      >You might try Rockler (both the store and
      >online) and WoodCraft (again both). If they
      >offer it online, your local store will likely
      >order it for you with their next shipment (saves you shipping).
      >
      >Frederick Alton <fzeiler@...> wrote:
      >Greeting unto the list,
      >I am in search of boxwood. I would like to make
      >some combs and we are having a hard time finding
      >some. Is there a substitute? The sizes slabs need to be 4 X 6 X ¼ to ½ in.
      >Bob and Beth found some but it was extremely
      >expensive. Any one else know of a source?
      >Thanks
      >Frederick
    • leaking pen
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 9, 2007
        as i recall, the man was vehemant against voltaire directly, discussing his sex life in frank detail, ect.  i cant find a link i had read about it a while ago, but heres some info about the missatrubition.

        On 8/9/07, JBRMM266@... <JBRMM266@...> wrote:

        Interesting . . . I've seen that line, pretty much as I gave it, cited in any number of sources.

        I stand corrected.

        I can see how it is a generalized rendition of the sentiment conveyed in the letter.  One has to wonder, though, if he detested the Abbé's writing because he disagreed with it or because he just thought it was bad writing!

        Your servant aye
        Donal