Re: [MedievalSawdust] period woodworking demo kit

  • Michael T Combs
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      A springpole lathe can be made to be portable and you can turn out (no pun intended) some small items for people to take with them such as spindles.

      Derek Olson <beorn@...> wrote:
      hail and well met to all, I am new to this group and I am happy to be
      here, I hope to learn from of you and maybe be able to help some.
      Here's my first question.
      My reenactment group travels to several fests and fairs in a year and
      sets up encampment, Recently at a fair I stood and watched a blacksmith
      do some work and interact with the crowd, explaining techniques and
      what not and I thought why shouldn't I be able to do the same thing
      with my woodworking....I already lean towards hand tools in my "modern"
      hobby woodshop, and it would provide a great opportunity to interact
      with the public and educate on several levels if I were to be able to
      set up a bench, break the tools out of my mastermyr chest and spend the
      weekend building a chest or a rope bed or whatever.
      What I want to know is if any of you wonderful people do this now? And
      if so what you would suggest for needs in this venture. A type
      of "knock down" workbench perhaps, or nessesary tools? Any tips or
      suggestions would be wonderful.
      FYI the persona I work from is Viking circa 1000 AD
      Thank you in advance
      Beorn The Oldwolf

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings: