RE: [MedievalSawdust] Green wood workshop

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      I took the Alexander class years ago.

      How does all those wet oak shavings smell?  You fall in love with that smell.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
        A springpole lathe can be made to be portable and you can turn out (no pun intended) some small items for people to take with them such as spindles.

        Derek Olson <beorn@...> wrote:
        hail and well met to all, I am new to this group and I am happy to be
        here, I hope to learn from of you and maybe be able to help some.
        Here's my first question.
        My reenactment group travels to several fests and fairs in a year and
        sets up encampment, Recently at a fair I stood and watched a blacksmith
        do some work and interact with the crowd, explaining techniques and
        what not and I thought why shouldn't I be able to do the same thing
        with my woodworking....I already lean towards hand tools in my "modern"
        hobby woodshop, and it would provide a great opportunity to interact
        with the public and educate on several levels if I were to be able to
        set up a bench, break the tools out of my mastermyr chest and spend the
        weekend building a chest or a rope bed or whatever.
        What I want to know is if any of you wonderful people do this now? And
        if so what you would suggest for needs in this venture. A type
        of "knock down" workbench perhaps, or nessesary tools? Any tips or
        suggestions would be wonderful.
        FYI the persona I work from is Viking circa 1000 AD
        Thank you in advance
        Beorn The Oldwolf

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings: