RE: [MedievalSawdust] Green wood workshop

  • C N Schwartz
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
      I took the Alexander class years ago.

      How does all those wet oak shavings smell?  You fall in love with that smell.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
        Colin,

        You are so lucky. :-)  I love working with green wood.  I have my shave horse done, but haven't used it much.  We have discovered that harder woods work better for the table that clamps down on the piece you are working as a soft wood starts getting dents (?, not sure what the right word to use here is :-)) as you work with stuff.  So my laurel made us tables of yellow and purple heart so that they will hold up to the wear and tear.

        Please let me know when another workshop is.  I would love to try and attend. :-D

        Sara Sophia

        AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Building a website is a piece of cake.

      • Michael T Combs
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
          A springpole lathe can be made to be portable and you can turn out (no pun intended) some small items for people to take with them such as spindles.

          Derek Olson <beorn@...> wrote:
          hail and well met to all, I am new to this group and I am happy to be
          here, I hope to learn from of you and maybe be able to help some.
          Here's my first question.
          My reenactment group travels to several fests and fairs in a year and
          sets up encampment, Recently at a fair I stood and watched a blacksmith
          do some work and interact with the crowd, explaining techniques and
          what not and I thought why shouldn't I be able to do the same thing
          with my woodworking....I already lean towards hand tools in my "modern"
          hobby woodshop, and it would provide a great opportunity to interact
          with the public and educate on several levels if I were to be able to
          set up a bench, break the tools out of my mastermyr chest and spend the
          weekend building a chest or a rope bed or whatever.
          What I want to know is if any of you wonderful people do this now? And
          if so what you would suggest for needs in this venture. A type
          of "knock down" workbench perhaps, or nessesary tools? Any tips or
          suggestions would be wonderful.
          FYI the persona I work from is Viking circa 1000 AD
          Thank you in advance
          Beorn The Oldwolf

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings: