Re: [medievalsawdust] Permanent Sites

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26 5:41 PM
      >> Magnus wrote:
      >>It would not be unreasonable to do much the same
      >>thing as to buying land and erecting buildings
      >>in various large kingdoms and baronies within the SCA.
      >>
      >>I have heard of a Kingdom site fund in the West Kingdom ...

      > Tracie Brown wrote:
      > The West Kingdom land fund has been around for decades,
      > and has not kept pace with the cost of land.

      This discussion originally started on one of the Regia
      lists and has also being had for quite some time periodically
      on the Authenticity@yahoogroups.com list as the listowner
      is in the process of financing and planning a site.
      BHFI I believe. Some place in the Mid-west.

      > I have long
      > maintained that another avenue we should investigate for long
      > term (not "permanent") sites are long-term leases. A number
      > of larger renaissance faires are held on leased rather than
      > owned properties, or (in the case of Maryland) on properties
      > purchased after leasing. The US Army Corps of Engineers
      > leases sites around some of their projects to non-profits on
      > low cost 99-year leases. It is common in this part of the US
      > to lease land for hunting camps from timber companies, and an
      > SCA member in Alabama has recently purchased 60 or 80 acres
      > adjoining a national forest with plans for a permanent site.

      That is a very interesting idea. One has to keep in mind
      though that eventually the land owner will own any permanent
      structure unless you are obligated to take it down.
      In our state - North Carolina - it cannot be removed
      without the landlord's consent. The Hong Kong 150 year
      forced lease eventually ran out. Still that was well
      past their time. They probably had no idea what it
      actually would become with time. Our remote areas
      are becoming much more metropolitan here now in
      the Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh, NC area.

      > I started investigating leases in the Hartwell Lake
      > project on the border between Georgia and South Carolina with
      > and eye toward a site that could be used by various living
      > history groups, but the process came to a halt after 9/11 --
      > the people I was working with were tasked with various
      > security-related projects involving the various Corps
      > projects. It should be time to start investigating again,
      > however. The Hartwell project is reviewing its leases
      > because some of the sites are being used improperly (for
      > permanent residences) and some have not been used at all.

      We have Federal Parks on two of our large reservoirs
      here that are relatively new. Unfortunately the State
      Park nearby is right in the middle of the high value
      area for business and airporting. Research Triangle and all.

      We know that someone would have to live on site and
      that it will have to be maintained/mowed regularly.
      My thought was a retired military couple.
      Fort Bragg and Seymour Johnson Air Force Base aren't
      too far and they have lots of retirees who were formerly
      responsible folks on government pensions. Looking after
      something in return for housing might look good to
      someone who is good for us to have.

      > So, how many acres would be reasonable for a primitive
      > living history camp? What sort of permanent facilities would
      > be required? Or nice to have?

      Depends on how large you can afford and forsee the project
      needing. If one intended to hold a regional war then one
      would need more facilities and land. To begin with around
      here we need a site for at least 600 currently once or
      more times per year.

      > Right now I'm using an
      > existing Boy Scout camp as a model -- it has one building and
      > one roofed pavilion, port-a-jons (regular and handicapped),
      > cold running water, scattered campsites with fire pits, a
      > boat dock, a parking lot and a permanent manager living on
      > site. And a gorgeous view of the lake.
      >
      > -- Signy

      I had an hour discussion with another interested party here
      this morning. What would be initially important is the
      kitchen/bathrooms/showers area and to begin to build out
      from there further down the building's length as needed.
      The pipes would have to be warm during the winter or
      drained. I'm thinking propane tanks initially.

      I like the Australian idea of a timberframed building with
      short upper story walls under a 12/12 roof maximizing space.
      Lochac has a timberframe already up on a site put together
      by SCA affilliated members.

      However, timberframes are expensive, so I think standard
      framing with Hardi-board (a cement and paper mix) that has
      a stucco finish for the exterior walls painted parchment
      or off-white for the wall framing's simulated infill
      whose joints would be covered with 1x4" or 6" chocolate
      or black paint for the simulated timber framing as we
      could afford to expand it.

      Hardiboard and Hardi-plank have a 25 year guarantee.
      Termites have no interest in it. I've built a yard
      building on the same principles using as heavy framing
      as a standard structure due to size affecting building
      code and the possibility of tree falls. So I have used it.
      It screws to the framing with special cement board
      screws similar to sheetrock screws but with cutting
      teeth under the heads.

      The Roof for the main hall area could go up first and be
      used as a screened in area until we have time and funds
      to enclose it. They now make asphalt shingles with 25
      or thirty year warranties that resemble the finish of
      traditional wood shingled roofs. Pretty low maintenance
      actually.

      Doing such things we would end up with a sort-of timber
      framed later medieval look at a reasonable cost in
      a manner that we could expand.

      In my case the windows of the yard building and it's
      door were done in simulated diamond fashion by cutting
      the window film into a framework, spray painting the diamond
      window frame in place, removing the film, and for privacy
      I had tried sandblasting two of them first and sprayed the
      other two after painting the frame with a [bathroom glass]
      simulated etched glass spray you can buy at your local
      Home Depot. The look was -very- similar either way.

      Of course on the main hall you would like to see out.
      Perhaps glass painters or stained glass artists would
      like to decorate some of them. Say behind high table.

      The lower part of my 2 x 10" floor base banding was covered
      with a chocolate colored brown aluminum flashing which
      extended below the hardi-plank and the overlaying
      simulated framing To make for a cohesive look. The
      color of the flashing determined the framing color for
      us. There are horizontal boards at appropriate places
      much as one would find them on a real timber-framed
      building. The only problem I have had with this system
      is the resin in some knots baking out in the hot
      southern summer through the paint. We did spray them
      with shellac first to prevent bleeding, so not all
      the knots have been a problem. Maybe five percent.

      The inside could be sheetrocked fairly quickly and
      top coated with a stucco finish that you wouldn't
      need to sand as much as regular sheetrock in order to
      get the feel of wattle and daub plaster overlay.
      Simply mount interior framing over the joints
      and across the ceiling. Caulk the seams and paint.

      I saw a really neat idea in The Archeology of York
      the Small Finds 17/15 Craft, Industry, and Everyday
      Life: Finds from Medieval York. Avaiable from
      http://www.oxbowbooks.com/ or the York Archaeological
      Trust. In this case there were cast fleur-de-lys
      and golden painted twisted star made to adorn
      ceilings and walls. I have seen many medieval ceilings
      in my books and Blue background with Golden Stars
      makes a lovely ceiling. On others the main beams were
      painted with various designs, including people. ;)
      These don't have to be real, they can be applied.
      In fact the stars or the fleur-de-lys could almost
      as easily be cast in an rtv rubber mold of plaster
      and applied. The metal ones were nailed in.

      If the building were built into a slope the underside
      could serve as a storage basement while the top floor
      could be resident caretaker and general dormitory/indoor
      workshop for the group.

      If precious things are removed and locked on the upper
      floor and storage is beneath the lower then you can
      have a hall rentable for various group activities when
      you are not using it for your own group's uses.

      A summer day camp for kids.

      A site for a medieval/renaissance faire [We have three
      here in NC in Asheville, Charlotte, and Raleigh. The
      Charlotte one lasts eight weekends.]

      A rental hall for weekly bingo shared with a non-profit
      charity or church, which is what I understand the
      Denver group has done. One Legion Hall had a member
      I worked with and they [3] apparently took in enough
      every bingo nite they were pocketing $100 each per night.
      I mean if you have the potential to make that much
      to sidetrack, the real money must have been amazing.
      That is in rather a small community too. Haven't seen
      him since we both disabled nine years ago. Statute of
      limitations and all...

      Wars with neighboring baronies/kingdoms.
      Alternate medieval groups could use the site as well.
      I really don't think anyone wants SCA, Inc. managing
      anything. On the other hand we have core SCA members
      who are devout medievalists.

      It would be very nice if we had all amenities
      on a central site that we needed for our events
      and didn't have to haul them everywhere or take
      things like tents down immediately in unfortunate
      weather. All the cooking and serving vessels and a
      place to prepare the feasts central to our area.
      Less movement and hurry for everyone.
      A cap on rising event costs for sites that are growing
      too small too fast.

      22 years ago my barony had 30-40 members.
      Now it is closer to 500 and for larger kingdom
      events hosted here it is getting simply too large
      for many sites.

      A Retreat available for those needing some space.
      My sister in law regularly attends one called
      Snail's Pace.

      An event site rentable for companies/churches' holidays.

      For example the camping ground could be used as
      a ballfield, the archery area could be used
      prior to hunting season by bowhunters who have
      scant else in my area anymore to shoot. When I
      was much younger I shot both tournament and
      field target archery courses strung through
      the woods. So could they.

      The eric, or fighting field, could become a
      badminton or volley ball court during rentals.
      I have an image of one surrounded by an open roofed area.
      One quarter or two ends of which could be two story for
      the high ladies and lords seats much like the scenes
      of the tournaments in the Manesse Codex.

      I also have an idea of the back of the covered
      area in some places housing such things as
      an armor workshop, a smithy, woodworking stuff, etc.
      Localized merchants could even have permanent booths.

      Regular canton or Baronial workshops could be held
      there for anything from tentmaking to beading,
      to dance, to garb and armor-making. We have five
      Cantons in our very cohesive large Barony and
      many more members in outlying areas.

      Magnus
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx