RE: [MedievalSawdust] period woodworking demo kit

  • Tracy Swanson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
      At the Medieval Fair in Norman Oklahoma, I do a bit of wood carving. Unfortunately, I do not own a period trestle table bench that knocks down like Master Edward du Orleans, who taught me. I therefore improvise with a folding workbench like the Shop Mate, which I cover with a period blanket, upon which I place my work and tools. I have thought seriously of creating a period bow or pole lathe, or perhaps a Chinese pedal lathe, but that is a bit down the line.

      Welcome into our group!
      In Magical Service,
      Malaki

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 4:58 AM
        There's a lot of "it depends" in your question. Some Ren Faires allow almost anything while others have rather tight restrictions. One that I'm somewhat familiar with has certain provisos that restrict the clothing (must be linen or wool, no rayon, cotton, spandex, etc), no watches or cell phones (glasses are ok), tools can have no plastc, rubber, etc. In light of this I'll just throw out some general ideas for demos in general.

        Demos are a lot like the State Fair (regardless of the state) - people aren't going to stand around for a long time looking at the same person....they get antsy. They probably aren't going to be at the event until you finish your project or they will forget to come back or decide not to in order to see the finished project. It's similar to the tv shows: New Yankee Workshop or The WoodWright's Shop. Have a project in various stages of completion. If you were to show how to build a bucket (or pail) no one is going to watch you shave a dozen or so slats for the sides so you have a bunch all ready and show how you make one. Then you show how they fit inside the form rings, fit the bottom on, and replace the form rings with permanent ones. You'll have to keep it to about 10 to 15 minutes and then they can ask questions or move on. With a chest you might want to have a finished chest, two pieces that are dovetailed (if that's your joinery) to show how they connect, and a couple of pieces that have pins and tails in the process of being cut.

        You have asked this after the start of Pennsic (eastern War) and will probably get more answers after the 12th.

        Derek Olson <beorn@...> wrote:
[...]
        .

        On TV commercials: If I had a giant talking woodchuck in my kitchen eating pizza with a fork, I wouldn't be able to sleep either.

      • Paul A. Griffith
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1 6:16 AM
          Check out Master Findlaech's webpage at:

          http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/index.html

          it is a highly inspirational and in addition to some great photos of
          demos being done, it shows the plans for a shaving horse (absolute must
          for preparing stock in a camp environment), portable lathes and the
          like.

          Enjoy,

          Baron Ansel (Atlantia, SCA)
        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1 7:11 AM
            Hi all (or at least those who aren't sweating away at Pennsic),

            I'm finally getting some hands-on experience with green woodworking
            methods, in a workshop being led by Dan Stalzer, who studied under John
            Alexander and Drew Langsner. He's a great teacher, very fun guy, and
            the classmates are a good bunch as well (we don't seem to have that
            "high maintenance" type that usually mar such classes). Learning some
            good stuff; this is a very different way of working wood that anything
            I've done before. Now I gotta make me a shaving horse!

            We're making all the parts for a chair, then we'll be assembling our own
            from parts made by the previous workshop (since the parts have to dry
            for about 2 months). At the end of the week all 12 of us should have a
            completed chair.

            Next time Dan does one of these, I'll try to remember to post the
            information here in case anyone is interested in coming out to beautiful
            Mendocino for a week.

            Wish the tanoaks on my property were a little larger. You Easterners
            don't know how good you have it, surrounded by all that hardwood.

            Cheers,
            Colin
          • C N Schwartz
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1 7:36 AM
              I took the Alexander class years ago.

              How does all those wet oak shavings smell?  You fall in love with that smell.

[...]

            • Elizabeth Brakhage
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1 7:41 AM
                Colin,

                You are so lucky. :-)  I love working with green wood.  I have my shave horse done, but haven't used it much.  We have discovered that harder woods work better for the table that clamps down on the piece you are working as a soft wood starts getting dents (?, not sure what the right word to use here is :-)) as you work with stuff.  So my laurel made us tables of yellow and purple heart so that they will hold up to the wear and tear.

                Please let me know when another workshop is.  I would love to try and attend. :-D

                Sara Sophia

                AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Building a website is a piece of cake.

              • Michael T Combs
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1 8:11 AM
                  A springpole lathe can be made to be portable and you can turn out (no pun intended) some small items for people to take with them such as spindles.

                  Derek Olson <beorn@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.