period woodworking demo kit

  • Derek Olson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
      hail and well met to all, I am new to this group and I am happy to be
      here, I hope to learn from of you and maybe be able to help some.
      Here's my first question.
      My reenactment group travels to several fests and fairs in a year and
      sets up encampment, Recently at a fair I stood and watched a blacksmith
      do some work and interact with the crowd, explaining techniques and
      what not and I thought why shouldn't I be able to do the same thing
      with my woodworking....I already lean towards hand tools in my "modern"
      hobby woodshop, and it would provide a great opportunity to interact
      with the public and educate on several levels if I were to be able to
      set up a bench, break the tools out of my mastermyr chest and spend the
      weekend building a chest or a rope bed or whatever.
      What I want to know is if any of you wonderful people do this now? And
      if so what you would suggest for needs in this venture. A type
      of "knock down" workbench perhaps, or nessesary tools? Any tips or
      suggestions would be wonderful.
      FYI the persona I work from is Viking circa 1000 AD
      Thank you in advance
      Beorn The Oldwolf
    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2007
        At the Medieval Fair in Norman Oklahoma, I do a bit of wood carving. Unfortunately, I do not own a period trestle table bench that knocks down like Master Edward du Orleans, who taught me. I therefore improvise with a folding workbench like the Shop Mate, which I cover with a period blanket, upon which I place my work and tools. I have thought seriously of creating a period bow or pole lathe, or perhaps a Chinese pedal lathe, but that is a bit down the line.

        Welcome into our group!
        In Magical Service,
        Malaki

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
          There's a lot of "it depends" in your question. Some Ren Faires allow almost anything while others have rather tight restrictions. One that I'm somewhat familiar with has certain provisos that restrict the clothing (must be linen or wool, no rayon, cotton, spandex, etc), no watches or cell phones (glasses are ok), tools can have no plastc, rubber, etc. In light of this I'll just throw out some general ideas for demos in general.

          Demos are a lot like the State Fair (regardless of the state) - people aren't going to stand around for a long time looking at the same person....they get antsy. They probably aren't going to be at the event until you finish your project or they will forget to come back or decide not to in order to see the finished project. It's similar to the tv shows: New Yankee Workshop or The WoodWright's Shop. Have a project in various stages of completion. If you were to show how to build a bucket (or pail) no one is going to watch you shave a dozen or so slats for the sides so you have a bunch all ready and show how you make one. Then you show how they fit inside the form rings, fit the bottom on, and replace the form rings with permanent ones. You'll have to keep it to about 10 to 15 minutes and then they can ask questions or move on. With a chest you might want to have a finished chest, two pieces that are dovetailed (if that's your joinery) to show how they connect, and a couple of pieces that have pins and tails in the process of being cut.

          You have asked this after the start of Pennsic (eastern War) and will probably get more answers after the 12th.

          Derek Olson <beorn@...> wrote:
[...]
          .

          On TV commercials: If I had a giant talking woodchuck in my kitchen eating pizza with a fork, I wouldn't be able to sleep either.

        • Paul A. Griffith
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
            Check out Master Findlaech's webpage at:

            http://www.bloodandsawdust.com/index.html

            it is a highly inspirational and in addition to some great photos of
            demos being done, it shows the plans for a shaving horse (absolute must
            for preparing stock in a camp environment), portable lathes and the
            like.

            Enjoy,

            Baron Ansel (Atlantia, SCA)
          • AlbionWood
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
              Hi all (or at least those who aren't sweating away at Pennsic),

              I'm finally getting some hands-on experience with green woodworking
              methods, in a workshop being led by Dan Stalzer, who studied under John
              Alexander and Drew Langsner. He's a great teacher, very fun guy, and
              the classmates are a good bunch as well (we don't seem to have that
              "high maintenance" type that usually mar such classes). Learning some
              good stuff; this is a very different way of working wood that anything
              I've done before. Now I gotta make me a shaving horse!

              We're making all the parts for a chair, then we'll be assembling our own
              from parts made by the previous workshop (since the parts have to dry
              for about 2 months). At the end of the week all 12 of us should have a
              completed chair.

              Next time Dan does one of these, I'll try to remember to post the
              information here in case anyone is interested in coming out to beautiful
              Mendocino for a week.

              Wish the tanoaks on my property were a little larger. You Easterners
              don't know how good you have it, surrounded by all that hardwood.

              Cheers,
              Colin
            • C N Schwartz
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                I took the Alexander class years ago.

                How does all those wet oak shavings smell?  You fall in love with that smell.

[...]

              • Elizabeth Brakhage
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Colin,

                  You are so lucky. :-)  I love working with green wood.  I have my shave horse done, but haven't used it much.  We have discovered that harder woods work better for the table that clamps down on the piece you are working as a soft wood starts getting dents (?, not sure what the right word to use here is :-)) as you work with stuff.  So my laurel made us tables of yellow and purple heart so that they will hold up to the wear and tear.

                  Please let me know when another workshop is.  I would love to try and attend. :-D

                  Sara Sophia

                  AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Building a website is a piece of cake.

                • Michael T Combs
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2007
                    A springpole lathe can be made to be portable and you can turn out (no pun intended) some small items for people to take with them such as spindles.

                    Derek Olson <beorn@...> wrote:
[...]

                    Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.