Re: [MedievalSawdust] Clamp-Front/Hutch Chest

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2007
      Michael, get yourself a copy of the Philip Mainwaring Johnston book:

      English Medieval Chests $12.95

      Jack C. Thompson
      Thompson Conservation Lab.
      7549 N. Fenwick
      Portland, OR 97217

      503/735-3942 (voice/fax)
      http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/

      Best $13 I ever spent. It's chock full of detailed line drawings
      showing the construction of several chests, including details like
      lumber dimensions etc...

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Michael Sheldon wrote:
      > I'm looking at building one or more clamp-front style chests, and would
      > like to use the pin-hinge style for the lids. However, I'm really not
      > finding much that shows the hinge details and the backs of these chests.
      > Anyone know of a good source for examples?

    • Michael Sheldon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2007
        Are you referring to "Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth
        Centuries in England"?

        If so, got that one. It's fascinating to be sure, but I certainly didn't
        find much useful on the details of the construction of the pin-hinges on
        the chests.

        The drawings mostly seem to be concerned with decoration, not so much
        construction.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2007
          Yep, same book, but apparently we read it differently. I see a number
          of drawings specifically showing details of the pin-hinges, with which
          Johnston seems to have been particularly fascinated. True, he also
          suffers the typical furniture historian/antiquarian's fascination with
          decoration, but I find this book exceptional for the amount of attention
          paid to construction details. It was massively useful to me when I was
          developing designs for clamped-front chests.

          Pin-hinge details are shown on Pages 11, 20, 33, and 34. In addition,
          drawings showing the hinge-batten with the lid raised are on pages 34,
          48, and 51. From these drawings it is possible to understand the
          details of construction for the batten, standard, and pin-hinge.

          Do you have specific questions? I've built several of these, and have
          examined several originals. Perhaps I can help.

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Michael Sheldon wrote:
          > Are you referring to "Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth
          > Centuries in England"?
          >
          > If so, got that one. It's fascinating to be sure, but I certainly didn't
          > find much useful on the details of the construction of the pin-hinges on
          > the chests.
          >
          > The drawings mostly seem to be concerned with decoration, not so much
          > construction.

        • M Descoteau
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2007
            Any chance of getting a ISBN for it so I can see about
            getting it ordered from BAM, the title and arthor come
            up as unknown..........

            Mike
            --- AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:

            > Michael, get yourself a copy of the Philip
            > Mainwaring Johnston book:
            >
            > English Medieval Chests $12.95
            >
            > Jack C. Thompson
            > Thompson Conservation Lab.
            > 7549 N. Fenwick
            > Portland, OR 97217
            >
            > 503/735-3942 (voice/fax)
            > http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/
            >
            > Best $13 I ever spent. It's chock full of detailed
            > line drawings
            > showing the construction of several chests,
            > including details like
            > lumber dimensions etc...
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Colin
            >
            > Michael Sheldon wrote:
            > > I'm looking at building one or more clamp-front
            > style chests, and would
            > > like to use the pin-hinge style for the lids.
            > However, I'm really not
            > > finding much that shows the hinge details and the
            > backs of these chests.
            > > Anyone know of a good source for examples?

            Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29, 2007
              Not available thru regular sources, But from a website that specializes in out of print books. They got some really cool stuff.  Church Chests of the Twelfth and Thirteenth Centuries in England  is the one you want. This small book is only $12.95 and worth it. The website is
              http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm

              -Rhys

              --
              ()xxxx[]::::::::::::::::::>
            • Rebekah d'Avignon
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 30, 2007
                Here's another source for used books.
                http://www.abebooks.com/

                On 7/29/07, M Descoteau < fantasydesigns2002@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                Any chance of getting a ISBN for it so I can see about
                getting it ordered from BAM, the title and arthor come
                up as unknown..... .....

                Mike
                .

                On TV commercials: If I had a giant talking woodchuck in my kitchen eating pizza with a fork, I wouldn't be able to sleep either.