Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: Storing wood

  • Caley Woulfe
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
      > I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
      > code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
      > wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
      > painted 'blue', for example.....
      >
      > Sunjan :-)

      It does double duty. I asked.

      Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick
      "If Normal is relative, it must be a very distant relative..."
    • rmhowe
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
        Cockerel Woodworks wrote:
        > No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than
        > many of the special ?end sealer? treatments. The wood yards know this.

        Well, latex is. ;) I used to run a furniture shop too.

        > Cockerel Woodworks
        >
        > Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.
        >
        > View our gallery!
        >
        > http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

        In my experience it is any color. Probably whatever latex
        the paint companies want to get rid of. Check you local
        Habitat for Humanity store, it's usually full of the stuff.

        The paint company shop across from my furniture shop in
        the early eighties used to get rid of a couple of dumpsters
        full each year.

        The point is that the end grain will check because it lets
        water directly out the end of the stem cells. At some times
        of the year you can cut a sizable tree down and it virtually
        steams with the water vapor coming out of the stump.

        I'd suggest removing any bark. I made some bird houses a
        few years back from the 40 foot long sections of the
        neighbor's maple trees that kept hitting my house and
        yard (not his problem though) and left the bark on.
        had to throw most of them out this last year. Under
        the bark they were infested with all kinds of crawlies
        despite being hung.

        My Bradford pear that destructed this year with the icestorm
        (there went twelve year's of growth that shaded the front
        porch) is end-sealed and stored in the yard building awaiting
        turning or shoe pattens one day. So is part of the neighbor's
        golden rain tree. Will have to remove three more Bradfords
        before they do the same thing. Two kinds of Bradfords in
        Raleigh now. Those that exploded during the ice-storm and
        those that are gonna one day. I had strategically placed
        them near the west end of the house to shade and cool it.
        Now I'm looking at leaving them and losing the windows
        one day. After the leaves have dropped so do they.

        Magnus, OL, old disabled craftsman.
      • yurtsatshaw
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
          > > I'm a little rusty, but I think
          > > their use of paint is more a color-
          > > code for the type/grade of wood.
          > > 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
          > > wood choice - now downgraded to
          > > "firewood" in quality......) is end-
          > > painted 'blue', for example.....
          > >
          > > Sunjan :-)

          > It does double duty. I asked.
          >
          > Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick

          Don't you just love it when we can BOTH be right?

          Sunjan :-)
          (still having to remove blue paint from my lumber ends...)