RE: [medievalsawdust] Re: Storing wood

  • Cockerel Woodworks
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 25, 2003

      No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than many of the special “end sealer” treatments. The wood yards know this.

      Cockerel Woodworks

      Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

      View our gallery!

      http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
        I have read a little about drying wood and they recommend painting the ends
        of the wood.

        >From: "yurtsatshaw" <yurts@...>
        >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Storing wood
        >Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:51:47 -0000
        >
        >Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
        >needed:
        >
        > > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?
        >
        > > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
        > > Caley
        >
        >I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
        >code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
        >wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
        >painted 'blue', for example.....
        >
        >Sunjan :-)

      • Caley Woulfe
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
          > I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
          > code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
          > wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
          > painted 'blue', for example.....
          >
          > Sunjan :-)

          It does double duty. I asked.

          Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick
          "If Normal is relative, it must be a very distant relative..."
        • rmhowe
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
            Cockerel Woodworks wrote:
            > No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than
            > many of the special ?end sealer? treatments. The wood yards know this.

            Well, latex is. ;) I used to run a furniture shop too.

            > Cockerel Woodworks
            >
            > Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.
            >
            > View our gallery!
            >
            > http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

            In my experience it is any color. Probably whatever latex
            the paint companies want to get rid of. Check you local
            Habitat for Humanity store, it's usually full of the stuff.

            The paint company shop across from my furniture shop in
            the early eighties used to get rid of a couple of dumpsters
            full each year.

            The point is that the end grain will check because it lets
            water directly out the end of the stem cells. At some times
            of the year you can cut a sizable tree down and it virtually
            steams with the water vapor coming out of the stump.

            I'd suggest removing any bark. I made some bird houses a
            few years back from the 40 foot long sections of the
            neighbor's maple trees that kept hitting my house and
            yard (not his problem though) and left the bark on.
            had to throw most of them out this last year. Under
            the bark they were infested with all kinds of crawlies
            despite being hung.

            My Bradford pear that destructed this year with the icestorm
            (there went twelve year's of growth that shaded the front
            porch) is end-sealed and stored in the yard building awaiting
            turning or shoe pattens one day. So is part of the neighbor's
            golden rain tree. Will have to remove three more Bradfords
            before they do the same thing. Two kinds of Bradfords in
            Raleigh now. Those that exploded during the ice-storm and
            those that are gonna one day. I had strategically placed
            them near the west end of the house to shade and cool it.
            Now I'm looking at leaving them and losing the windows
            one day. After the leaves have dropped so do they.

            Magnus, OL, old disabled craftsman.
          • yurtsatshaw
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
              > > I'm a little rusty, but I think
              > > their use of paint is more a color-
              > > code for the type/grade of wood.
              > > 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
              > > wood choice - now downgraded to
              > > "firewood" in quality......) is end-
              > > painted 'blue', for example.....
              > >
              > > Sunjan :-)

              > It does double duty. I asked.
              >
              > Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick

              Don't you just love it when we can BOTH be right?

              Sunjan :-)
              (still having to remove blue paint from my lumber ends...)