Pennsic Largess Chest

  • Frederick Alton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2007
      SCA and Medieval Woodworking

      Klaus,

      Great job!. I like it. Where did you come up with the hardware?   Do you have plans?

      Again, it looks great.

      Frederick

      Smythkepe

      Re: Pennsic Largess chest

      Posted by: "Stephanie Drake" cerdanya@...   stelrudr

      Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:38 am (PST)

      It's gorgeous Klaus, absolutely gorgeous. I love the lock plate and
      hinges. And lined even!! Such luxury.

      Mercedes

      On 7/17/07, Adam <adamjh@earthlink. net> wrote:

      > Thank you Mercedes.. I should have mentioned that I did actually
      > upload pics to my photo folder here:

      > minor detail...
      >
      > -Klaus
      >
      > --- In
      face=Arial>medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com
      , "Stephanie Drake"
> [...]
      > > It sounds like a lovely chest and I can't wait to see it when it
      > comes home
      > > to Ansteorra. Thank you for honoring our Queen so.
      > >
      > > Mercedes
      > >

      > > On 7/16/07, Adam <adamjh@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Good evening. I don't post very often, but this project might be
      > of
      > > > interest to some. For this year's Pennsic, the Kingdom of Caid
      > was
      > > > selected to make largess for the Kingdom of Ansteorra. Being the
      > > > sadistic sort, I volunteered and was given the happy task of
      > making a
      > > > chest for Her Majesty Ebergardis von Zell. HRM's personna is
      15th
      > > > Century german which, luckily, is also mine so I had some ideas
      > as to
      > > > what I wanted to make. I ended up basing the chest on an image
      > > > from "Das Hausbuch der Mendelschen" which I believe
      was printed in
      > > > the early 1400's (I'll throw the image in my photo folder). The
      > > > chest is made from quarter-sawn red(!) oak, which was donated to
      > me
      > > > in it's rough-sawn form by Sir Gareth Somerset. I thought this
      > was a
      > > > very generous donation on his part so Im going to see that he
      > takes
      > > > some credit for it if it kills me...
      > > >
      > > > Since the image was fairly vague regarding the joinery, I took
      > > > liberties to do pretty much what I wanted. I settled on
      dovetails
      > > > which I ended up cutting a bit finer than you may have seen in
      > > > period, but as I said Im a sadist who can't seem to leave well
      > enough
      > > > alone... But I digress!... The plinth has dovetails much closer
      > > > together and a tad beefier than the case since I figure that
      will
      > > > take the brunt of the abuse thru the life of this chest. The
      > bottom
      > > > is a horrid bit of poplar that was rebated all around and nailed
      > > > the bottom of the box. Since the plinth covers this joint (and
      > since
      > > > I was pressed for time) I decided to go for the quick easy
      detail
      > > > here. So for any of you in Ansteorra who decide to be nosy and
      > flip
      > > > the chest over to see the bottom, don't say I didn't warn you!!
      > The
      > > > lid is fairly straight-forward. The only detail here is the
      > > > breadboard ends, mainly to cover up the end-grain.
      > > >
      > > > The hardware is somewhat based on the original image. The lock
      > plate
      > > > and hinge tips have cut-out details to correspond to the main
      > charge
      > > > on HRM's device to give it more of a custom look. Not sure how
      > period
      > > > it is, but screw it; it looks spiffy! The lock is a full-
      > > > mortise "piano" lock..nothing earth-shattering there.
      The handles