Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Pennsic Largess chest

  • Stephanie Drake
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18 7:37 AM
      It's gorgeous Klaus, absolutely gorgeous.  I love the lock plate and hinges.  And lined even!!  Such luxury.

      Mercedes

      On 7/17/07, Adam <adamjh@...> wrote:
      Thank you Mercedes.. I should have mentioned that I did actually
      upload pics to my photo folder here:

      minor detail...

      -Klaus

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Drake"
      <cerdanya@...> wrote:

      > Being a friend of HRM Ebergardis, I assure you that she will be
      thrilled.
      > It sounds like a lovely chest and I can't wait to see it when it
      comes home
      > to Ansteorra.  Thank you for honoring our Queen so.
      >
      > Mercedes
      >

      > On 7/16/07, Adam <adamjh@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Good evening. I don't post very often, but this project might be
      of
      > > interest to some.  For this year's Pennsic, the Kingdom of Caid
      was
      > > selected to make largess for the Kingdom of Ansteorra.  Being the
      > > sadistic sort, I volunteered and was given the happy task of
      making a
      > > chest for Her Majesty Ebergardis von Zell.  HRM's personna is 15th
      > > Century german which, luckily, is also mine so I had some ideas
      as to
      > > what I wanted to make. I ended up basing the chest on an image
      > > from "Das Hausbuch der Mendelschen" which I believe was printed in
      > > the early 1400's (I'll throw the image in my photo folder).  The
      > > chest is made from quarter-sawn red(!) oak, which was donated to
      me
      > > in it's rough-sawn form by Sir Gareth Somerset. I thought this
      was a
      > > very generous donation on his part so Im going to see that he
      takes
      > > some credit for it if it kills me...
      > >
      > > Since the image was fairly vague regarding the joinery, I took
      > > liberties to do pretty much what I wanted. I settled on dovetails
      > > which I ended up cutting a bit finer than you may have seen in
      > > period, but as I said Im a sadist who can't seem to leave well
      enough
      > > alone... But I digress!... The plinth has dovetails much closer
      > > together and a tad beefier than the case since I figure that will
      > > take the brunt of the abuse thru the life of this chest. The
      bottom
      > > is a horrid bit of poplar that was rebated all around and nailed
      > > the bottom of the box. Since the plinth covers this joint (and
      since
      > > I was pressed for time) I decided to go for the quick easy detail
      > > here. So for any of you in Ansteorra who decide to be nosy and
      flip
      > > the chest over to see the bottom, don't say I didn't warn you!!
      The
      > > lid is fairly straight-forward. The only detail here is the
      > > breadboard ends, mainly to cover up the end-grain.
      > >
      > > The hardware is somewhat based on the original image. The lock
      plate
      > > and hinge tips have cut-out details to correspond to the main
      charge
      > > on HRM's device to give it more of a custom look. Not sure how
      period
      > > it is, but screw it; it looks spiffy!  The lock is a full-
      > > mortise "piano" lock..nothing earth-shattering there. The handles
      are
      > > the only thing not shown in the image. These were mainly for
      > > convenience. And last but not least a gold-toned brocade liner was
      > > added to the interior to give a nice smooth-textured contrast to
      the
      > > coarse-grained oak and black metalwork of the exterior.  Finish
      was
      > > Tried and True oil varnish and brown Liberon paste wax.  If I
      forgot
      > > any pertinent details, feel free to let me know.
      > >
      > > I will be presenting it to HRM's Caid this weekend prior to it's
      trip
      > > back-east.
      > >
      > > good night,
      > > Klaus Von Mainz, Caid