Need help waterproofing styrafoam cooler

  • Joseph Hayes
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 24, 2002
      Hi all,

      Three things I hate seeing at events are modern chairs, giant
      tupperware boxes for armor, and coolers. I hate to admit it, but I'm
      as guilty as everyone else in the last two cases, but I'm trying to get
      better.

      I've acquired a really nice styrafoam cooler. It's about an inch thick
      all around and it has straight sides. It's not one of those cheap
      "throw it away when you're done" coolers.

      I was planning to build a wooden chest to hide the cooler in and maybe
      have it double as seating. I assumed the cooler was waterproof, but I
      decided to test it by filling it with water. To my surprise, it
      leaked. I guess the cells of foam aren't as close together as I
      expected.

      Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can apply to the outside of
      the cooler to waterproof it? If not, I guess I could use blue ice...

      Thanks,
      Ulrich

      http://finance.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2002
        you could try silicon and a putty
        knife....

        I was gonna try to find a plastic
        box ( your basic rubbermaid type )
        and work out from there. Someone
        suggested that I check office supply
        stores for straight sided plastic
        containers. I was planning on getting
        a sheet of the rigid foam that is used
        for inulating new construstion homes....

        Conal

        --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Three things I hate seeing at events are modern
        > chairs, giant
        > tupperware boxes for armor, and coolers. I hate to
        > admit it, but I'm
        > as guilty as everyone else in the last two cases,
        > but I'm trying to get
        > better.
        >
        > I've acquired a really nice styrafoam cooler. It's
        > about an inch thick
        > all around and it has straight sides. It's not one
        > of those cheap
        > "throw it away when you're done" coolers.
        >
        > I was planning to build a wooden chest to hide the
        > cooler in and maybe
        > have it double as seating. I assumed the cooler was
        > waterproof, but I
        > decided to test it by filling it with water. To my
        > surprise, it
        > leaked. I guess the cells of foam aren't as close
        > together as I
        > expected.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can apply
        > to the outside of
        > the cooler to waterproof it? If not, I guess I
        > could use blue ice...
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ulrich

        > http://finance.yahoo.com

        =====

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • James Winkler
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 24, 2002
          A couple of years ago I built a cooler around a Styrofoam chest... one of them thick heavy ones they use for transporting bulk meat in.  It was pretty cool... the top was stuck to the lid of the chest so it opened up like a chest freezer...

          While it worked pretty well, m'lady didn't like it much because of problems relating to dumping the melted water out of it.   It was heavy, bulky and... well... unsettling to her delicate sensibilities.

          So... what we did was to acquire an Igloo plastic cooler, remove the lid hinges so the top could be lifted straight off, and then built a chest that would accommodate that.  Actually, the chest is about a foot or so longer than the cooler chest.  This allows us to have a "peri-oid" chest in the pavilioin with cold stuff in one end of it and dry foodstuffs in the other end.  It also aids a bit in packing because the cooler can be packed separately from the chest it fits in allowing for two "box shapes" full of junk to be packed into the truck.  Generally we put linens, bedding and other cloth type things into the wood chest for transport.  They are hauled out when the pavilion is set up and the cooler installed.

          Works pretty well... and nobody (yer' all sworn to secrecy) is aware of the plastic...

          Chas.

          --- Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Three things I hate seeing at events are modern
          > chairs, giant
          > tupperware boxes for armor, and coolers.  I hate to
          > admit it, but I'm
          > as guilty as everyone else in the last two cases,
          > but I'm trying to get
          > better.
          >
          > I've acquired a really nice styrafoam cooler.  It's
          > about an inch thick
          > all around and it has straight sides.  It's not one
          > of those cheap
          > "throw it away when you're done" coolers.
          >
          > I was planning to build a wooden chest to hide the
          > cooler in and maybe
          > have it double as seating.  I assumed the cooler was
          > waterproof, but I
          > decided to test it by filling it with water.  To my
          > surprise, it
          > leaked.  I guess the cells of foam aren't as close
          > together as I
          > expected.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can apply
          > to the outside of
          > the cooler to waterproof it?  If not, I guess I
          > could use blue ice...
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ulrich

          > http://finance.yahoo.com

          =====

          http://finance.yahoo.com

          4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/mG3HAA/LmiolB/TM
        • Chris Stone
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 24, 2002
             I also built a chest that my cooler fit into.  It works really well for me.  It usually sits out in front of my tent, under my dining fly.  It serves as additional seating and I find it also shades the cooler making ice last longer.  It has an open bottom that allows any condensation to drip clear of the wood.

            =====

            http://finance.yahoo.com

            4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/mG3HAA/LmiolB/TM

          • vinlandar
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2002
              Ulrich,

              This is not a solution to waterproofing the styrofoam, but it is an
              alternate to blue ice. I started freezing bottled water. the
              bottles will withstand the expansion handily, they do not leak, they
              stay frozen just as long as blue ice in my experience, and they have
              the added advantage that as they thaw out, you can drink them. When
              they are half thawed and half ice, they are REALLY cold and
              refreshing. Now you have ice to keep your cooler contents cold, no
              space wasted by non-consumable blue ice, and no excess water sloshing
              around the bottom of the cooler. It works for me.

              I think before I used my time and resources trying to waterproof the
              inside of a styrofoam cooler (which indeed I have not seen and
              therefore am limited in my perspective) I would probably coat the
              inside of the chest to protect the wood from water, and put a few
              small drainage holes in the bottom of the chest. Again, that's my
              perspective which is limited by not having seen the cooler in
              question, or the plans for the chest.

              Best regards,
              -Oli

              --- In medievalsawdust@y..., Joseph Hayes <von_landstuhl@y...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > Three things I hate seeing at events are modern chairs, giant
              > tupperware boxes for armor, and coolers. I hate to admit it, but
              I'm
              > as guilty as everyone else in the last two cases, but I'm trying to
              get
              > better.
              >
              > I've acquired a really nice styrafoam cooler. It's about an inch
              thick
              > all around and it has straight sides. It's not one of those cheap
              > "throw it away when you're done" coolers.
              >
              > I was planning to build a wooden chest to hide the cooler in and
              maybe
              > have it double as seating. I assumed the cooler was waterproof,
              but I
              > decided to test it by filling it with water. To my surprise, it
              > leaked. I guess the cells of foam aren't as close together as I
              > expected.
              >
              > Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can apply to the outside
              of
              > the cooler to waterproof it? If not, I guess I could use blue
              ice...

              > Thanks,
              > Ulrich

              > http://finance.yahoo.com
            • Dan Baker
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 28, 2002
                I use 2 liter bottles to freeze the water, cheaper then bottled water.

                --
                YIS,

                Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                Privateer to the Midrealm