Re: [medievalsawdust] Storing wood

  • Caley Woulfe
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18, 2003
      > Should
      > I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

      Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.

      Caley
      "If Normal is relative, it must be a very distant relative..."
    • yurtsatshaw
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 25, 2003
        Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
        needed:

        > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

        > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
        > Caley

        I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
        code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
        wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
        painted 'blue', for example.....

        Sunjan :-)
      • Cockerel Woodworks
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 25, 2003

          No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than many of the special “end sealer” treatments. The wood yards know this.

          Cockerel Woodworks

          Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

          View our gallery!

          http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

          Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
          needed:

          > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

          > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
          > Caley

          I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
          code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
          wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
          painted 'blue', for example.....

          Sunjan :-)

        • Danial Roy
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
            I have read a little about drying wood and they recommend painting the ends
            of the wood.

            >From: "yurtsatshaw" <yurts@...>
            >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Storing wood
            >Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:51:47 -0000
            >
            >Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
            >needed:
            >
            > > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?
            >
            > > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
            > > Caley
            >
            >I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
            >code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
            >wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
            >painted 'blue', for example.....
            >
            >Sunjan :-)

          • Caley Woulfe
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
              > I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
              > code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
              > wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
              > painted 'blue', for example.....
              >
              > Sunjan :-)

              It does double duty. I asked.

              Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick
              "If Normal is relative, it must be a very distant relative..."
            • rmhowe
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
                Cockerel Woodworks wrote:
                > No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than
                > many of the special ?end sealer? treatments. The wood yards know this.

                Well, latex is. ;) I used to run a furniture shop too.

                > Cockerel Woodworks
                >
                > Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.
                >
                > View our gallery!
                >
                > http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

                In my experience it is any color. Probably whatever latex
                the paint companies want to get rid of. Check you local
                Habitat for Humanity store, it's usually full of the stuff.

                The paint company shop across from my furniture shop in
                the early eighties used to get rid of a couple of dumpsters
                full each year.

                The point is that the end grain will check because it lets
                water directly out the end of the stem cells. At some times
                of the year you can cut a sizable tree down and it virtually
                steams with the water vapor coming out of the stump.

                I'd suggest removing any bark. I made some bird houses a
                few years back from the 40 foot long sections of the
                neighbor's maple trees that kept hitting my house and
                yard (not his problem though) and left the bark on.
                had to throw most of them out this last year. Under
                the bark they were infested with all kinds of crawlies
                despite being hung.

                My Bradford pear that destructed this year with the icestorm
                (there went twelve year's of growth that shaded the front
                porch) is end-sealed and stored in the yard building awaiting
                turning or shoe pattens one day. So is part of the neighbor's
                golden rain tree. Will have to remove three more Bradfords
                before they do the same thing. Two kinds of Bradfords in
                Raleigh now. Those that exploded during the ice-storm and
                those that are gonna one day. I had strategically placed
                them near the west end of the house to shade and cool it.
                Now I'm looking at leaving them and losing the windows
                one day. After the leaves have dropped so do they.

                Magnus, OL, old disabled craftsman.
              • yurtsatshaw
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 26, 2003
                  > > I'm a little rusty, but I think
                  > > their use of paint is more a color-
                  > > code for the type/grade of wood.
                  > > 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
                  > > wood choice - now downgraded to
                  > > "firewood" in quality......) is end-
                  > > painted 'blue', for example.....
                  > >
                  > > Sunjan :-)

                  > It does double duty. I asked.
                  >
                  > Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick

                  Don't you just love it when we can BOTH be right?

                  Sunjan :-)
                  (still having to remove blue paint from my lumber ends...)