Pennsic Largess chest

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16 9:03 PM
      Good evening. I don't post very often, but this project might be of
      interest to some. For this year's Pennsic, the Kingdom of Caid was
      selected to make largess for the Kingdom of Ansteorra. Being the
      sadistic sort, I volunteered and was given the happy task of making a
      chest for Her Majesty Ebergardis von Zell. HRM's personna is 15th
      Century german which, luckily, is also mine so I had some ideas as to
      what I wanted to make. I ended up basing the chest on an image
      from "Das Hausbuch der Mendelschen" which I believe was printed in
      the early 1400's (I'll throw the image in my photo folder). The
      chest is made from quarter-sawn red(!) oak, which was donated to me
      in it's rough-sawn form by Sir Gareth Somerset. I thought this was a
      very generous donation on his part so Im going to see that he takes
      some credit for it if it kills me...

      Since the image was fairly vague regarding the joinery, I took
      liberties to do pretty much what I wanted. I settled on dovetails
      which I ended up cutting a bit finer than you may have seen in
      period, but as I said Im a sadist who can't seem to leave well enough
      alone... But I digress!... The plinth has dovetails much closer
      together and a tad beefier than the case since I figure that will
      take the brunt of the abuse thru the life of this chest. The bottom
      is a horrid bit of poplar that was rebated all around and nailed to
      the bottom of the box. Since the plinth covers this joint (and since
      I was pressed for time) I decided to go for the quick easy detail
      here. So for any of you in Ansteorra who decide to be nosy and flip
      the chest over to see the bottom, don't say I didn't warn you!! The
      lid is fairly straight-forward. The only detail here is the
      breadboard ends, mainly to cover up the end-grain.

      The hardware is somewhat based on the original image. The lock plate
      and hinge tips have cut-out details to correspond to the main charge
      on HRM's device to give it more of a custom look. Not sure how period
      it is, but screw it; it looks spiffy! The lock is a full-
      mortise "piano" lock..nothing earth-shattering there. The handles are
      the only thing not shown in the image. These were mainly for
      convenience. And last but not least a gold-toned brocade liner was
      added to the interior to give a nice smooth-textured contrast to the
      coarse-grained oak and black metalwork of the exterior. Finish was
      Tried and True oil varnish and brown Liberon paste wax. If I forgot
      any pertinent details, feel free to let me know.

      I will be presenting it to HRM's Caid this weekend prior to it's trip
      back-east.

      good night,
      Klaus Von Mainz, Caid
    • Stephanie Drake
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17 5:27 AM
        Being a friend of HRM Ebergardis, I assure you that she will be thrilled.  It sounds like a lovely chest and I can't wait to see it when it comes home to Ansteorra.  Thank you for honoring our Queen so.

        Mercedes

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
           mailto: medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • dmcubed_or_bine
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 17 6:01 AM
          Is this the "HRM Chest" in the "Herr Klaus" photo gallery on the Yahoo
          site?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 17 7:18 AM
            Oops! Yes it is. That would have been a useful piece of info wouldn't
            it?

            -Klaus

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "dmcubed_or_bine" <dmcubed@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 17 2:36 PM
              Thank you Mercedes.. I should have mentioned that I did actually
              upload pics to my photo folder here:

              minor detail...

              -Klaus

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Drake"
              <cerdanya@...> wrote:

> [...]
              charge
              > > on HRM's device to give it more of a custom look. Not sure how
              period
              > > it is, but screw it; it looks spiffy! The lock is a full-
              > > mortise "piano" lock..nothing earth-shattering there. The handles
              are
              > > the only thing not shown in the image. These were mainly for
              > > convenience. And last but not least a gold-toned brocade liner was
              > > added to the interior to give a nice smooth-textured contrast to
              the
              > > coarse-grained oak and black metalwork of the exterior. Finish
              was
              > > Tried and True oil varnish and brown Liberon paste wax. If I
              forgot
              > > any pertinent details, feel free to let me know.
              > >
              > > I will be presenting it to HRM's Caid this weekend prior to it's

            • Stephanie Drake
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 18 7:37 AM
                It's gorgeous Klaus, absolutely gorgeous.  I love the lock plate and hinges.  And lined even!!  Such luxury.

                Mercedes