Medieval History Magazine from the Royal Armouries

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2003
      Medieval History Magazine
      Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:21:37 +0100
      From: Debbie Wurr <Debbie.Wurr@...>
      > The subscription rate for US is £45 for 12
      > issues. The rate for Europe is £35.
      > Best wishes
      > Debbie

      Cost of a year's subscription in U.S. Funds:
      45£ x 1.60 = $72 / 12 = $6 each.

      This is less than many U.S. magazines currently.
      I find I am paying $8 or $9 for some now at the
      newstands. Even more for a few.

      See sites you've only heard of / See your fellows
      in arms on the European reenactment scene. There
      are a great many ancient to renaissance societies
      out there. Hundreds actually. Get some new ideas.

      I got a full color preview copy (number 0) from
      the Royal Armouries that says these magazines
      will run about 84 pages each on a monthly basis.
      Full sized format.

      What I saw was initially encouraging.
      Photos of reenactors at various historic sites.
      Jousting at Arms. History of Chateau Gaillard.
      I had always wondered what Chateux Gaillard used
      to look like. It was a multi-fortress complex
      built by Richard I. There is a good reconstruction
      in the magazine.

      I mentioned the new Medieval History Magazine coming
      out of Britain earlier this month, but I didn't
      know that Debbie was going to send me a preview
      copy for the magazine that is going into the
      first issue this week. It is in partnership with
      Editions Harnois which is the French Medieval
      Magazine that has been in production for at least
      several years. I had thought about subscribing to
      that one but never learned French.

      Anyway, I couldn't tell anyone the foreign price
      of the Armouries new magazine as I only had the
      U.K. price from Debbie's previous email to me
      which I thought was all the information I was
      going to get.

      I've subscribed. You can also if you reply to
      Debbie's address above or below. They accept
      regular banking and credit cards.

      Considering that this magazine and it's French
      edition, and Renaissance Magazine are the only
      period magazines currently in production (that I
      know of, and I've subscribed to about six in
      my time) outside of different society and kingdom
      publications you might want to give it some
      consideration.

      Debbie Wurr, Publications Assistant
      Royal Armouries 7/03
      Debbie.Wurr@... or
      publications@...

      Royal Armouries Publications, Armouries Drive, Leeds, LS10 1LT, UK
      Fax +44 113 220 1955
      Email: Shopping.Leeds@... 2/03.
      http://www.armouries.org.uk/ 7/03
      publications@... 7/03

      Royal Armouries Publications,
      FREEPOST NEA 12155, Leeds, LS10,3YY (UK only)
      Royal Armouries Publications, Armouries Drive, Leeds, LS10 1LT, UK
      Fax +44 113 220 1955
      Shopping.Leeds@... 2/03
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Note: I don't sell these. This is only a service
      posting. Please do not forward to usenet newsgroups.
      Your local SCA or Reenactor email list is fine.

      Master Magnus, OL, Barony of Windmasters' Hill,
      Regia.org, Manx, Great Dark Horde