Re: [medievalsawdust] Storing wood

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 15 10:49 AM
      Patricia Emery wrote:
      > Greetings all!
      >
      > My parents just had a rather large maple tree removed from their
      > property. I saved a few of the larger limbs, and hope to use them
      > for future projects such as carving spoons or making pattens. Should
      > I coat the ends of the limbs with wax? It may be months before I get
      > a chance to work with them, as we are in the process of moving from
      > Meridies to Atlantia... Can't wait to see the looks on our new
      > neighbors' faces when we unload huge limbs from the moving truck!
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Jessimond

      You didn't say if it was hard maple or soft maple.
      Hard maple would be great for spoons.
      Soft maple is a bit soft and fuzzy for spoons.
      We made a bunch of them when I joined the SCA 22 years ago.
      I was a furniture shop foreman at the time and we used
      a great deal of maple and poplar every day. We heated
      with the waste products for two months every winter.
      Also turned a Tudor style bowl for myself out of
      some of it. They were finished with mineral oil which
      never goes rancid, but does leave them a bit soft.

      The nicest wood I have seen for spoons and utensils
      is olive wood. Very dense and smooth.

      In storing your wood you need to take the bark off
      if you can and paint the end grain with something.
      http://www.woodcraft.com sells an end grain sealer,
      but a latex paint would be fine. They also sell light and
      dark waxes. In general dark finishes might be toxic.

      While there are such things as Behlenn's Salad Bowl
      finish on the woodworking market, any *clear* finish -
      excepting shellac which dissolves in alcohol -
      should be non-toxic after about thirty days.
      These would be polyurethanes or urethane resins
      primarily. Shellac is non toxic and is used in
      candy. The question is of course do you intend to
      use it with alcohol?

      Magnus
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 17 11:36 AM
        Limb wood is not the best in the tree. even trunk wood that has been cut up
        into fire wood is better because of reaction wood in the limbs. The
        reaction wood will warp badly. It may make interesting spoons. The rule
        for putting wax/sealer on wood ends is that it has to be done within hours
        of cutting the tree. You can try on a couple of interesting peices and lets
        us know how it works( like in med. times). If the log is still there you may
        be able to go through the county forester and find a small saw mill that
        will turn your $60 a cord log into $2 a board foot lumber. 2-3 inch boards
        work well as shelves until you get ready to use them.

        James Cunningham

        2003 11:14 AM
        Subject: [medievalsawdust] Storing wood

        > Greetings all!
        >
        > My parents just had a rather large maple tree removed from their
        > property. I saved a few of the larger limbs, and hope to use them
        > for future projects such as carving spoons or making pattens. Should
        > I coat the ends of the limbs with wax? It may be months before I get
        > a chance to work with them, as we are in the process of moving from
        > Meridies to Atlantia... Can't wait to see the looks on our new
        > neighbors' faces when we unload huge limbs from the moving truck!
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Jessimond

      • Caley Woulfe
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 18 8:29 PM
          > Should
          > I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

          Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.

          Caley
          "If Normal is relative, it must be a very distant relative..."
        • yurtsatshaw
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 25 6:51 PM
            Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
            needed:

            > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

            > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
            > Caley

            I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
            code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
            wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
            painted 'blue', for example.....

            Sunjan :-)
          • Cockerel Woodworks
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 25 9:51 PM

              No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than many of the special “end sealer” treatments. The wood yards know this.

              Cockerel Woodworks

              Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

              View our gallery!

              http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

              Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
              needed:

              > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

              > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
              > Caley

              I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
              code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
              wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
              painted 'blue', for example.....

              Sunjan :-)

            • Danial Roy
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 26 2:05 AM
                I have read a little about drying wood and they recommend painting the ends
                of the wood.

                >From: "yurtsatshaw" <yurts@...>
                >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Storing wood
                >Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:51:47 -0000
                >
                >Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
                >needed:
                >
                > > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?
                >
                > > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
                > > Caley
                >
                >I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
                >code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
                >wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
                >painted 'blue', for example.....
                >
                >Sunjan :-)

              • Caley Woulfe
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 26 7:00 AM
                  > I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
                  > code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
                  > wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
                  > painted 'blue', for example.....
                  >
                  > Sunjan :-)

                  It does double duty. I asked.

                  Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 26 12:09 PM
                    Cockerel Woodworks wrote:
                    > No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than
                    > many of the special ?end sealer? treatments. The wood yards know this.

                    Well, latex is. ;) I used to run a furniture shop too.

                    > Cockerel Woodworks
                    >
                    > Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.
                    >
                    > View our gallery!
                    >
                    > http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

                    In my experience it is any color. Probably whatever latex
                    the paint companies want to get rid of. Check you local
                    Habitat for Humanity store, it's usually full of the stuff.

                    The paint company shop across from my furniture shop in
                    the early eighties used to get rid of a couple of dumpsters
                    full each year.

                    The point is that the end grain will check because it lets
                    water directly out the end of the stem cells. At some times
                    of the year you can cut a sizable tree down and it virtually
                    steams with the water vapor coming out of the stump.

                    I'd suggest removing any bark. I made some bird houses a
                    few years back from the 40 foot long sections of the
                    neighbor's maple trees that kept hitting my house and
                    yard (not his problem though) and left the bark on.
                    had to throw most of them out this last year. Under
                    the bark they were infested with all kinds of crawlies
                    despite being hung.

                    My Bradford pear that destructed this year with the icestorm
                    (there went twelve year's of growth that shaded the front
                    porch) is end-sealed and stored in the yard building awaiting
                    turning or shoe pattens one day. So is part of the neighbor's
                    golden rain tree. Will have to remove three more Bradfords
                    before they do the same thing. Two kinds of Bradfords in
                    Raleigh now. Those that exploded during the ice-storm and
                    those that are gonna one day. I had strategically placed
                    them near the west end of the house to shade and cool it.
                    Now I'm looking at leaving them and losing the windows
                    one day. After the leaves have dropped so do they.

                    Magnus, OL, old disabled craftsman.
                  • yurtsatshaw
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 26 6:20 PM
                      > > I'm a little rusty, but I think
                      > > their use of paint is more a color-
                      > > code for the type/grade of wood.
                      > > 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
                      > > wood choice - now downgraded to
                      > > "firewood" in quality......) is end-
                      > > painted 'blue', for example.....
                      > >
                      > > Sunjan :-)

                      > It does double duty. I asked.
                      >
                      > Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick

                      Don't you just love it when we can BOTH be right?

                      Sunjan :-)
                      (still having to remove blue paint from my lumber ends...)