renting from U-haul

  • Brian Tychonski
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2007

      There is only one way to rent from U-haul. Demand a newer vehicle. I've rented a number of trucks from U-haul and until this last time, I've had nothing but problems with them. This last time I went in explained how the last two U-haul trucks had broken down while driving and demanded that I see the truck I was renting BEFORE signing for it. The clerk fully understood that I had no intention of renting a 10 yr old truck with 300 - 500,000 miles on it. So I was given one with 7,000 miles on it. It doesn't cost any more to rent a new truck with lower miles, but it can cost a lot less in both aggravation and fuel costs. One thing a lot of people don't realize about U-haul is that the vast majority of their rental offices are franchises. As a result, the quality and frequency of maintenance can vary widely. Likewise, the vehicles are rentals and are frequently taken from one city to another and left there. I am certain that a lot of the franchisees look at repairing trailers and long distance moving vehicles as a waste of money because the vehicle isn't theirs, and they'll never see it  again once it leaves their lot. While that attitude is good for their bottom line in the short term, it is still a gamble with both their reputation and other people's lives. Of course knowing that they didn't perform maintenance on a vehicle and proving it in court is an entirely different story. Not to mention the fact that they probably have a $10,000,000 umbrella insurance policy to cover them should they be found liable in an accident.

      Brian Broadaxe