Storing wood

  • Patricia Emery
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 15, 1945
      Greetings all!

      My parents just had a rather large maple tree removed from their
      property. I saved a few of the larger limbs, and hope to use them
      for future projects such as carving spoons or making pattens. Should
      I coat the ends of the limbs with wax? It may be months before I get
      a chance to work with them, as we are in the process of moving from
      Meridies to Atlantia... Can't wait to see the looks on our new
      neighbors' faces when we unload huge limbs from the moving truck!

      Thank you!

      Jessimond
    • rmhowe
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 15, 1945
        Patricia Emery wrote:
        > Greetings all!
        >
        > My parents just had a rather large maple tree removed from their
        > property. I saved a few of the larger limbs, and hope to use them
        > for future projects such as carving spoons or making pattens. Should
        > I coat the ends of the limbs with wax? It may be months before I get
        > a chance to work with them, as we are in the process of moving from
        > Meridies to Atlantia... Can't wait to see the looks on our new
        > neighbors' faces when we unload huge limbs from the moving truck!
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Jessimond

        You didn't say if it was hard maple or soft maple.
        Hard maple would be great for spoons.
        Soft maple is a bit soft and fuzzy for spoons.
        We made a bunch of them when I joined the SCA 22 years ago.
        I was a furniture shop foreman at the time and we used
        a great deal of maple and poplar every day. We heated
        with the waste products for two months every winter.
        Also turned a Tudor style bowl for myself out of
        some of it. They were finished with mineral oil which
        never goes rancid, but does leave them a bit soft.

        The nicest wood I have seen for spoons and utensils
        is olive wood. Very dense and smooth.

        In storing your wood you need to take the bark off
        if you can and paint the end grain with something.
        http://www.woodcraft.com sells an end grain sealer,
        but a latex paint would be fine. They also sell light and
        dark waxes. In general dark finishes might be toxic.

        While there are such things as Behlenn's Salad Bowl
        finish on the woodworking market, any *clear* finish -
        excepting shellac which dissolves in alcohol -
        should be non-toxic after about thirty days.
        These would be polyurethanes or urethane resins
        primarily. Shellac is non toxic and is used in
        candy. The question is of course do you intend to
        use it with alcohol?

        Magnus
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 17, 1945
          Limb wood is not the best in the tree. even trunk wood that has been cut up
          into fire wood is better because of reaction wood in the limbs. The
          reaction wood will warp badly. It may make interesting spoons. The rule
          for putting wax/sealer on wood ends is that it has to be done within hours
          of cutting the tree. You can try on a couple of interesting peices and lets
          us know how it works( like in med. times). If the log is still there you may
          be able to go through the county forester and find a small saw mill that
          will turn your $60 a cord log into $2 a board foot lumber. 2-3 inch boards
          work well as shelves until you get ready to use them.

          James Cunningham

          2003 11:14 AM
          Subject: [medievalsawdust] Storing wood

          > Greetings all!
          >
          > My parents just had a rather large maple tree removed from their
          > property. I saved a few of the larger limbs, and hope to use them
          > for future projects such as carving spoons or making pattens. Should
          > I coat the ends of the limbs with wax? It may be months before I get
          > a chance to work with them, as we are in the process of moving from
          > Meridies to Atlantia... Can't wait to see the looks on our new
          > neighbors' faces when we unload huge limbs from the moving truck!
          >
          > Thank you!
          >
          > Jessimond

        • Caley Woulfe
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 1945
            > Should
            > I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

            Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.

            Caley
            "If Normal is relative, it must be a very distant relative..."
          • yurtsatshaw
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 25, 1945
              Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
              needed:

              > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

              > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
              > Caley

              I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
              code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
              wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
              painted 'blue', for example.....

              Sunjan :-)
            • Cockerel Woodworks
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 25, 1945

                No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than many of the special “end sealer” treatments. The wood yards know this.

                Cockerel Woodworks

                Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.

                View our gallery!

                http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

                Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
                needed:

                > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?

                > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
                > Caley

                I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
                code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
                wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
                painted 'blue', for example.....

                Sunjan :-)

              • Danial Roy
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 25, 1945
                  I have read a little about drying wood and they recommend painting the ends
                  of the wood.

                  >From: "yurtsatshaw" <yurts@...>
                  >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Re: Storing wood
                  >Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:51:47 -0000
                  >
                  >Regarding sealing the ends of green tree limbs for storage until
                  >needed:
                  >
                  > > > Should I coat the ends of the limbs with wax?
                  >
                  > > Lumber yards and saw mills spray the ends with paint.
                  > > Caley
                  >
                  >I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
                  >code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
                  >wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
                  >painted 'blue', for example.....
                  >
                  >Sunjan :-)

                • Caley Woulfe
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 26, 1945
                    > I'm a little rusty, but I think their use of paint is more a color-
                    > code for the type/grade of wood. 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
                    > wood choice - now downgraded to "firewood" in quality......) is end-
                    > painted 'blue', for example.....
                    >
                    > Sunjan :-)

                    It does double duty. I asked.

                    Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 26, 1945
                      Cockerel Woodworks wrote:
                      > No, common house paint is a perfectly good sealer and a lot cheaper than
                      > many of the special ?end sealer? treatments. The wood yards know this.

                      Well, latex is. ;) I used to run a furniture shop too.

                      > Cockerel Woodworks
                      >
                      > Medieval and Renaissance fine furniture.
                      >
                      > View our gallery!
                      >
                      > http://merchants-medieval.com/cockerel

                      In my experience it is any color. Probably whatever latex
                      the paint companies want to get rid of. Check you local
                      Habitat for Humanity store, it's usually full of the stuff.

                      The paint company shop across from my furniture shop in
                      the early eighties used to get rid of a couple of dumpsters
                      full each year.

                      The point is that the end grain will check because it lets
                      water directly out the end of the stem cells. At some times
                      of the year you can cut a sizable tree down and it virtually
                      steams with the water vapor coming out of the stump.

                      I'd suggest removing any bark. I made some bird houses a
                      few years back from the 40 foot long sections of the
                      neighbor's maple trees that kept hitting my house and
                      yard (not his problem though) and left the bark on.
                      had to throw most of them out this last year. Under
                      the bark they were infested with all kinds of crawlies
                      despite being hung.

                      My Bradford pear that destructed this year with the icestorm
                      (there went twelve year's of growth that shaded the front
                      porch) is end-sealed and stored in the yard building awaiting
                      turning or shoe pattens one day. So is part of the neighbor's
                      golden rain tree. Will have to remove three more Bradfords
                      before they do the same thing. Two kinds of Bradfords in
                      Raleigh now. Those that exploded during the ice-storm and
                      those that are gonna one day. I had strategically placed
                      them near the west end of the house to shade and cool it.
                      Now I'm looking at leaving them and losing the windows
                      one day. After the leaves have dropped so do they.

                      Magnus, OL, old disabled craftsman.
                    • yurtsatshaw
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 26, 1945
                        > > I'm a little rusty, but I think
                        > > their use of paint is more a color-
                        > > code for the type/grade of wood.
                        > > 1" x 4" common (my original yurt
                        > > wood choice - now downgraded to
                        > > "firewood" in quality......) is end-
                        > > painted 'blue', for example.....
                        > >
                        > > Sunjan :-)

                        > It does double duty. I asked.
                        >
                        > Caoillainn De Bhulbh, She-wolf of Limerick

                        Don't you just love it when we can BOTH be right?

                        Sunjan :-)
                        (still having to remove blue paint from my lumber ends...)