Re: [MedievalSawdust] wood primer

  • Jack Needles
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2007
      you could in theory prime with basic white paint but you might not get the bond to the wood you would want..  if you are using red paints, use a gray primer instead of white..

      OR depending on what you are using the painted object for, you can spend a little more of paint and get the Duration line from Sherwin-williams and it self primes.. it will even self prime through older paint...  you can also get Kilz self priming paint at WalMart in a pretty wide variety of colors and its a lot cheaper than Duration.. both the brands come in interior and exterior types..

      Malachai

      On 6/30/07, Tracy Swanson <tstar2000@...> wrote:

      In my experience, primer is usually not glossy. A glossy primer would tend to repel the following coats of paint, rather than allowing it to get a proper tooth. What are you priming? What will be the ultimate finish? If the piece is to be painted, KILZ is a great primer that allows any base of paint to be applied on top of it, even latex over a previous oil finish. KILZ is an oil or lacquer-based paint, so be sure to use in a WELL ventilated area (the reason it is called KILZ is because that is what it does to brain cells). This is the only product that I have found that will allow you to cover water stains, dark colors or incompatible previous finishes. DO NOT use the water-based KILZ! It will not cover water stains or dark colors anywhere near as well as the original product - just make sure to shake well before using.

      In Magical Service,
      Malaki

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
        Let me be more specific..... I've got most of a gallon
        of a flat latex ceiling paint that I bought CHEAP and
        then mixed a little black into to paint some halloween
        decorations. It's now a nice light gray.

        Think I can use it? or should it stop taking up space in
        my shop start taking up space in the trash?

        I'm looking at priming a simple wooden chest that will
        be painted later by the guy that wants the chest.
      • Rebekah d'Avignon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
          Once again, I may be wrong, but I read.......paints and stains are very similar in composition. A paint tends to "sit on the surface" while a stain tends to soak into the wood. Another difference is that paints tend to be opaque and stains are not. There is a large amount of crossover between these and they are not "hard and fast" rules. Milk paint, for instance, tends to be absorbed and cheap paint (like apartments use) tend to not be opaque. A primer coat is intended to bond to the surface and give paint a gripping place. Older buildings or those with cheap exterior paint will peel completely down to the wood when moisture breaks the bond between paint and wood. Additionally primer is intended to, as seen on tv, give you a consistent color and surface to work with when painting to avoid shading differences in case of dirt, surface oils, etc.

          Aude Aliquid Dignum......add a liquid to your diet? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

          Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...> wrote:
          not knowing a lot about what makes a primer...primer. ...

          Can any not glossy paint be used as a primer coat on wood?

          .

          The surest way to avoid failure is to never attempt anything new or anything that you can't do perfectly - but it's a rather dull life and you'd never learn anything new.

        • Joseph Paul
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
            In general when talking about primer and paint, primer's job is to stick to the material and paint's job is to stick to primer. Why risk paint peeling later?

            Jamie Blackrose
            not knowing a lot about what makes a primer...primer. ...

            Can any not glossy paint be used as a primer coat on wood?

          • Tracy Swanson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2007
              Ceiling latex does well to stick to the ceiling. The latex is the binder to the paint, and the more glossy it is, the more latex is present. If you have ever dealt with painting a ceiling you will have noticed that oftentimes the old paint is rather chalky and will, if rubbed, leave a trace (sometimes more than a trace) on your hand afterwards. This is indicative of a paint which will not make a good primer. I have used latex as a primer, sometimes with good results, but only when using at least a satin level paint, and then not for outdoor use. Milk paint uses the natural enzymes in the milk as a binder (from what I understand). It is basically a step and a half above a whitewash in outdoor durability (it runs and washes away - a half step above whitewash would be casine, which is used as a fast-drying paint in the theater, but has virtually no binder).

              KILZ is, by far, the best paint primer I have ever used, and you can get it tented to virtually any color, but don't expect it to exactly match the latex or other paint that you intend to put on top of it. The tinting machines used are programmed to work from the white base used by a particular brand of paint. They have not yet programmed the machines to deal with the ultra-white used by KILZ. I just finished an outdoor wooden-framed window screen to replace the original one that had rotted while hanging on its Victorian house. I gave it back to the owner with two coats of KILZ on it as a primer, confident that it will protect the wood, even if they don't get the house repainted for a couple of years (it has been about 30 since the last paint job...).

              Hope this helps.

              In Magical Service,
              Malaki