Re: A few pictures of some of my projects

  • thorkatlamana
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
      Admirable work.

      I have made so many 6 sided boxes like the one pictured with a device
      on the front that I have to number them to keep up now. I would like
      to learn how to make the clamp-front chests that you made your cooler
      chest out of. Do you have a pattern for that one? Are the
      joints across the front joined with mortise and tenon as are the
      handles on the sides? My woodworking skills are in a progressive
      stage with lots to learn. I
      am more of a carver than a woodworker, so please excuse my ignorance.
      I really like your work and the cart is another project I'm
      interested in. How are the wheels made? I have a start on a cart,
      and the wheels are quite a chore the way I'm attempting them.
      Thorkatla
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
        Thanks,

        Actually the chest is cheating like crazy. It's all done with biskets and a
        plate joiner. i don't have a pattern for it yet, but I plan to make one up.
        I have made a few of them in the past and I kind of just winged it on this
        one. It was made to fit the cooler and so the dimensions are based on that.
        The sideds are done with screws and plugs. I wanted a certain amount of
        extra strength as the wood was 70 year old pine and it is going to hold a
        lot of weight.

        I will soon have photos of my latest chest online. It is currently being
        banded in iron by a local blacksmith. It is a barrel top "pirate" chest.
        Made out of very old, worm eaten oak. I used spline joints to put the
        boards together. The chest will be the traveling trophy for a pirate fencing
        battle at Baroness Wars in Michigan in September. It is very large,very
        heavy and we plan on using as a prize every year with the winning captain
        bringing it back filled with goodies for the next year.

        I would like to learn more carving. I am more of a woodworker with a focus
        on large items.

        The cart was a highly modified version of Master Avery's Cart
        http://home.i1.net/~avery/cart/cart.html
        there was a complete write up on both of his cart and my modifications in an
        Artes Draconis newletter last year and I was honored to teach a class on
        cart making at Pennsic with Master Avery Last year. you might be able to
        gat a back copy of Artes Draconis at
        http://www.midrealm.org/moas/midrealm_artes_draconis.html

        The wheels ar strictly Master Avery's design and is available on his website
        mentioned above. I have been using is for a bit over three years now with
        minimal wear and tear (it creaks and groans more now) I just patched the
        sheet meatal I put on the wheels for the first time and it has carried over
        600 lbs.

        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer