Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: A few pictures of some of my projects

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
      I used this very well made pattern that I found on the Web
      http://members.shaw.ca/kilowattcommando/projects/table.htm

      Only one or two oddities in the pattern. The first was that the legs are 12
      inches wide, but cutting out of 4 foot sheet you lose the width of your
      blade and the last leg will be off a bit. I allowed for blade kerf and the
      legs are about 1/32" under 12 inches. Not something that would stand out.
      The other thing I noticed is the notch at the top center is not layed out in
      size. It is 1 inch from the top down, and 5/8 inch from the side in. This
      allows the legs to slip over the higed center of the box and provides more
      side to side stability. But all in all the pattern is very easily readable
      and well done.

      The Gentle also has some other cool ideas and patterns.

      I made a few modifications, and there are some things that I will do
      different next time I make one.
      I added a small box to hold the wedges inside so they don't rattle around.
      I used Piano hinge for the top.
      I used Chest latches to close the box.
      I plan to dress up the edge of the ply next time with a 1/4 inch of regular
      wood (where it shows on the top).
      I am planing some benches that two of them will make a second box.
      I will pobably use Oak veener ply for the one that I will keep. It will add
      a few pounds, but most of our camping things are oak. It will also add a
      small amount of money. This version used the least expensive ply I could
      find $18 a sheet. Oak is about $35 a sheet. With hinges and latches, it
      cost about $50 to make, or $65-$70 for oak.

      Also, if you can, make a hardbord pattern for the legs then use a router
      with a pattern bit to make them all the exact same. I also made a patten
      for the ends of the stretchers and routed then the same. One excellent tip
      I recieved from my Laurel when making the Gokstad bed was to make sure each
      end of both stretchers fits well into each and every hole, and the same
      thing for the wedges. Then you don't have to number them or keep trying
      until you find the right combination each time you dut it together.
      --
      YIS,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      ...Take time to dance in the rain...

      >Rhys
      >I would love to get the pattern for that table.I would like to have
      >one for my dinning table here at home. Or let me say it this way my
      >lady would love for me to make a pair of these tables. Could you post
      >the patterns on the database or links page. Or tell me were you found
      >the pattern?
      >
      >Yours in Service,
      >Alessandro dEste

    • thorkatlamana
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
        Admirable work.

        I have made so many 6 sided boxes like the one pictured with a device
        on the front that I have to number them to keep up now. I would like
        to learn how to make the clamp-front chests that you made your cooler
        chest out of. Do you have a pattern for that one? Are the
        joints across the front joined with mortise and tenon as are the
        handles on the sides? My woodworking skills are in a progressive
        stage with lots to learn. I
        am more of a carver than a woodworker, so please excuse my ignorance.
        I really like your work and the cart is another project I'm
        interested in. How are the wheels made? I have a start on a cart,
        and the wheels are quite a chore the way I'm attempting them.
        Thorkatla
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
          Thanks,

          Actually the chest is cheating like crazy. It's all done with biskets and a
          plate joiner. i don't have a pattern for it yet, but I plan to make one up.
          I have made a few of them in the past and I kind of just winged it on this
          one. It was made to fit the cooler and so the dimensions are based on that.
          The sideds are done with screws and plugs. I wanted a certain amount of
          extra strength as the wood was 70 year old pine and it is going to hold a
          lot of weight.

          I will soon have photos of my latest chest online. It is currently being
          banded in iron by a local blacksmith. It is a barrel top "pirate" chest.
          Made out of very old, worm eaten oak. I used spline joints to put the
          boards together. The chest will be the traveling trophy for a pirate fencing
          battle at Baroness Wars in Michigan in September. It is very large,very
          heavy and we plan on using as a prize every year with the winning captain
          bringing it back filled with goodies for the next year.

          I would like to learn more carving. I am more of a woodworker with a focus
          on large items.

          The cart was a highly modified version of Master Avery's Cart
          http://home.i1.net/~avery/cart/cart.html
          there was a complete write up on both of his cart and my modifications in an
          Artes Draconis newletter last year and I was honored to teach a class on
          cart making at Pennsic with Master Avery Last year. you might be able to
          gat a back copy of Artes Draconis at
          http://www.midrealm.org/moas/midrealm_artes_draconis.html

          The wheels ar strictly Master Avery's design and is available on his website
          mentioned above. I have been using is for a bit over three years now with
          minimal wear and tear (it creaks and groans more now) I just patched the
          sheet meatal I put on the wheels for the first time and it has carried over
          600 lbs.