Re: A few pictures of some of my projects

  • Alessandro dEste
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "captainrhys"
      <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
      > Greetings one and all,
      > I have posted a few photos of various things I have done in the last
      > couple of years including my latest project a collapsible trestle
      > table in a box.
      > Yours in Service,
      > Rhys

      Rhys
      I would love to get the pattern for that table.I would like to have
      one for my dinning table here at home. Or let me say it this way my
      lady would love for me to make a pair of these tables. Could you post
      the patterns on the database or links page. Or tell me were you found
      the pattern?

      Yours in Service,
      Alessandro dEste
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
        I used this very well made pattern that I found on the Web
        http://members.shaw.ca/kilowattcommando/projects/table.htm

        Only one or two oddities in the pattern. The first was that the legs are 12
        inches wide, but cutting out of 4 foot sheet you lose the width of your
        blade and the last leg will be off a bit. I allowed for blade kerf and the
        legs are about 1/32" under 12 inches. Not something that would stand out.
        The other thing I noticed is the notch at the top center is not layed out in
        size. It is 1 inch from the top down, and 5/8 inch from the side in. This
        allows the legs to slip over the higed center of the box and provides more
        side to side stability. But all in all the pattern is very easily readable
        and well done.

        The Gentle also has some other cool ideas and patterns.

        I made a few modifications, and there are some things that I will do
        different next time I make one.
        I added a small box to hold the wedges inside so they don't rattle around.
        I used Piano hinge for the top.
        I used Chest latches to close the box.
        I plan to dress up the edge of the ply next time with a 1/4 inch of regular
        wood (where it shows on the top).
        I am planing some benches that two of them will make a second box.
        I will pobably use Oak veener ply for the one that I will keep. It will add
        a few pounds, but most of our camping things are oak. It will also add a
        small amount of money. This version used the least expensive ply I could
        find $18 a sheet. Oak is about $35 a sheet. With hinges and latches, it
        cost about $50 to make, or $65-$70 for oak.

        Also, if you can, make a hardbord pattern for the legs then use a router
        with a pattern bit to make them all the exact same. I also made a patten
        for the ends of the stretchers and routed then the same. One excellent tip
        I recieved from my Laurel when making the Gokstad bed was to make sure each
        end of both stretchers fits well into each and every hole, and the same
        thing for the wedges. Then you don't have to number them or keep trying
        until you find the right combination each time you dut it together.
        --
        YIS,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        ...Take time to dance in the rain...

        >Rhys
        >I would love to get the pattern for that table.I would like to have
        >one for my dinning table here at home. Or let me say it this way my
        >lady would love for me to make a pair of these tables. Could you post
        >the patterns on the database or links page. Or tell me were you found
        >the pattern?
        >
        >Yours in Service,
        >Alessandro dEste

      • thorkatlamana
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
          Admirable work.

          I have made so many 6 sided boxes like the one pictured with a device
          on the front that I have to number them to keep up now. I would like
          to learn how to make the clamp-front chests that you made your cooler
          chest out of. Do you have a pattern for that one? Are the
          joints across the front joined with mortise and tenon as are the
          handles on the sides? My woodworking skills are in a progressive
          stage with lots to learn. I
          am more of a carver than a woodworker, so please excuse my ignorance.
          I really like your work and the cart is another project I'm
          interested in. How are the wheels made? I have a start on a cart,
          and the wheels are quite a chore the way I'm attempting them.
          Thorkatla
        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
            Thanks,

            Actually the chest is cheating like crazy. It's all done with biskets and a
            plate joiner. i don't have a pattern for it yet, but I plan to make one up.
            I have made a few of them in the past and I kind of just winged it on this
            one. It was made to fit the cooler and so the dimensions are based on that.
            The sideds are done with screws and plugs. I wanted a certain amount of
            extra strength as the wood was 70 year old pine and it is going to hold a
            lot of weight.

            I will soon have photos of my latest chest online. It is currently being
            banded in iron by a local blacksmith. It is a barrel top "pirate" chest.
            Made out of very old, worm eaten oak. I used spline joints to put the
            boards together. The chest will be the traveling trophy for a pirate fencing
            battle at Baroness Wars in Michigan in September. It is very large,very
            heavy and we plan on using as a prize every year with the winning captain
            bringing it back filled with goodies for the next year.

            I would like to learn more carving. I am more of a woodworker with a focus
            on large items.

            The cart was a highly modified version of Master Avery's Cart
            http://home.i1.net/~avery/cart/cart.html
            there was a complete write up on both of his cart and my modifications in an
            Artes Draconis newletter last year and I was honored to teach a class on
            cart making at Pennsic with Master Avery Last year. you might be able to
            gat a back copy of Artes Draconis at
            http://www.midrealm.org/moas/midrealm_artes_draconis.html

            The wheels ar strictly Master Avery's design and is available on his website
            mentioned above. I have been using is for a bit over three years now with
            minimal wear and tear (it creaks and groans more now) I just patched the
            sheet meatal I put on the wheels for the first time and it has carried over
            600 lbs.