RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Portable Pell

  • christopher chastain
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 22, 2007
      Thats not a bad idea, im sure momma nature will be happier with me if I did that than beating up defenseless tree's. I know it's the norm but I feel this karma thing about beating up a tree, just this little voice saying "were gonna tell mom on you!" and the next I'll know my car is flat from a tree limb.

      Cristauf

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: tfsawyer@...
      Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:40:35 +1000
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Portable Pell

      When I worked at the Steel Fabrication workshop, I got the guys to knock up a pell stand for me:

      It's a piece of steel pipe about knee high, about 3mm thick walls (1/4").  Welded onto the bottom are 4 lugs - sticking out about 300mm (12"), they have a hole in the outside end (10 or 12 mm - say just a bit less than 1/2") in which I stick large solid tent pegs - they made them up as well with big square tops so they anchor it firmly.

      You stick a piece of tree about as wide around as one of those old fashioned wooden street light poles (I don't know if you had them in the states?), so you make your pipe just a frag. wider than the pole x about 6 foot long - so you can practise hitting tall fighters too.

      We used duct tape to mark off the head, chest, hips & knees ...

      If you go to a steel scrap yard, you can get little bits and pieces for next to nothing - and help the environment by recycling...

      Lowry
      (from Lochac)

      mka: Tracey Sawyer

        ska:  THL Lowry ferch Gwynwynwyn ap Llewelyn, OGT
        (pronounced: Lo-oo-ra v-air-k When-when-when up hhhL-yew-elen)

        aka:  Badra

      I'm NOT middle-aged ... I'm medieval!

      Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger .yahoo.com

      Play free games, earn tickets, get cool prizes! Join Live Search Club.   Join Live Search Club!
    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2007
        Never believe wood sprites......they lie.

        christopher chastain <ckchastain@...> wrote:
        Thats not a bad idea, im sure momma nature will be happier with me if I did that than beating up defenseless tree's. I know it's the norm but I feel this karma thing about beating up a tree, just this little voice saying "were gonna tell mom on you!" and the next I'll know my car is flat from a tree limb.

        Cristauf
        Yahoo! Movies
        for the Summer's
        Best Movies
        Yahoo! News
        Get coverage of
        world crises.
        Yahoo! TV
        Check out today's
        news and gossip.
        .

        The surest way to avoid failure is to never attempt anything new or anything that you can't do perfectly - but it's a rather dull life and you'd never learn anything new.

      • Andrew Lowry
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2007
          A period pell - get a fence post like log - dig a post hole and sink the post.  Very period but not portable.  I doubt very much that in period pells were moved around.  They were placed at the training area.  So getting a portable period looking pell is a challenge.

          In the SCA I have seen two portable designs both of which have very modern looking elements.

          In both cases purchase a 4 x 4 post and decorate it with old carpet for padding.  Alternating the layers of padding every two inches creates a great set of slots for targeting with a SCA baton type 'sword'.

          Mounting on the base is the variation.

          In one method get a plastic milk crate (approximately a 12 inch cube) or build a wooden box of similar size.  Line with a plastic garbage bag.  Screw the post to the bottom of the crate on the inside.  Fill the inside with cement from the building centre.  Let set.  The weight of the base will keep the pell from falling over.  If you knock it over while practicing you are hitting too hard.  It will be heavy but can be transported to a practice in the park.

          Alternatively mount L brackets on the bottom using bolts.  Then cut a 4 x 4 foot sheet of 1/2 inch plywood.  (3 x 3 ply may work but the people who did this design could fit a 4 x 4 sheet in their vehicle so they went for the extra stability.  Drill holes for mounting bolts.  Transport the two parts separately and then assemlbe at fight practice.

          Cheers,

          Richard
          Ealdormere
        • AlbionWood
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23, 2007
            Although I agree with Andrew and others that pells were not likely to
            have been portable, I do think a period-looking one could be
            constructed. The basic idea is a heavy post with a braced base, for
            which there are period examples (from lecterns to windmills). If I
            wanted to make a really cool one, I'd start with at least a 6x6 post but
            an 8x8 or larger would be even better. You'd want a 6-foot piece for
            the post, plus two 4-foot pieces for the base; plus four short pieces
            (probably less than 2 feet) for the braces, which could be of smaller
            section (e.g. 4x8 or even 2x8). Lay out the braces so they come up to
            a point about equal to the average fighter's knee. (Assuming this is
            for SCA fighter practice.)

            Make the base by half-lapping the two 4-foot pieces. (It will be more
            stable if you make "feet" by gluing or nailing on some 2x material at
            the ends.) Chop out a square mortise down the center of the lap joint
            and make a corresponding tenon on the bottom end of the post. Then cut
            M&T joints for the four angled braces. Here's the tricky part: Drawbore
            the peg holes and make tapered pegs to lock the brace joints together,
            so the whole thing can be disassembled without wrecking it. To improve
            stability and make it even cooler-looking, taper the post and chamfer it
            to an octagonal section (e.g. 6x6 at the braces, 4" octagon at the top).

            You'd have the coolest-looking pell in the business. If you taper the
            post and make a pad to fit, you could easily slip the padding on and off
            as needed. For even more coolness, get a bunch of rigid foam insulation
            - not EPS, the other kind that doesn't fall apart - and build up a
            fighter shape.

            I eagerly await photos! :-D

            Cheers,
            Colin
          • JBRMM266@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 24, 2007
              A lot depends on how portable you want it to be.

              There is a method of making a stand that can be transported around the immediate area using a cement-filled tire.

              Place the tire on its side.

              Cut a piece of plywood or heavy plastit big enough to fill the hole in one side, and fit it into the tire (it will take a little stretching).

              Either mount whatever upright you want to use to the plywood or simply brace it in position inside the tire.

              Fill the tire with cement and let it harden.

              When the cement hardens, its weight will hold the upright  . . . upright.  But you can tip it over and roll the wheel around to move it from place to place in the immediate area.  It would be rather heavy to load into a car, though with two people to lift it, you should be able.  Depends on the size of the tire.  If you use a great big truck tire, it'll be strictly for local use . . .  But a moderate size car tire would be loadable, I suspect.

              Yours aye
              Donal

              See what's free at AOL.com.
            • Paul A. Griffith
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
                I know that the conversation passed a ocuple of weeks ago, but for true
                portability I used a heavy umbrella stand with an old stick of rattan
                stuck into it. With some duck tape it provided my targets. The only
                problem was some swaying of the stand. So, I bought a second,
                identical, stand and bolted it all together and that stopped the
                swaying.

                Another method, if you can access someone with welding skills, is to
                take two 50# weights and weld them together with a heavy steel tube in
                the middle. Stick in your post and voila... portable pell!!!

                Cheers,

                Baron Ansel (Atlantia)
              • Rebekah d'Avignon
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
                  Ummm.......two times 50# is 100# plus the "heavy steel tube"......portable? That weighs as much as a large child (or a good-sized dog). Who says the Pentagon is full of paper-pushers?

                  "Paul A. Griffith" <paul.griffith@...> wrote:
                  Another method, if you can access someone with welding skills, is to
                  take two 50# weights and weld them together with a heavy steel tube in
                  the middle. Stick in your post and voila... portable pell!!!

                  Cheers,

                  Baron Ansel (Atlantia)
                  .

                  The surest way to avoid failure is to never attempt anything new or anything that you can't do perfectly - but it's a rather dull life and you'd never learn anything new.

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                • Paul A. Griffith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
                    I guess I should have put a caveat of, "if you're the type of person
                    that takes a 110# anvil around to events..." :-)

                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Rebekah d'Avignon