A few pictures of some of my projects

  • captainrhys
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
      Greetings one and all,

      I hope those of you at Pennsic are enjoying it.

      I have posted a few photos of various things I have done in the last
      couple of years including my latest project a collapsible trestle
      table in a box. It is not sanded or finished yet, but when done will
      be donated to an auction at Baroness Wars in Septemeber. I have been
      thinking about making colapsible benches to go with the table. Of
      course now my Lady expects me to make one for our use.....

      Yours in Service,

      Rhys
    • Alessandro dEste
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "captainrhys"
        <Capten_Rhys@h...> wrote:
        > Greetings one and all,
        > I have posted a few photos of various things I have done in the last
        > couple of years including my latest project a collapsible trestle
        > table in a box.
        > Yours in Service,
        > Rhys

        Rhys
        I would love to get the pattern for that table.I would like to have
        one for my dinning table here at home. Or let me say it this way my
        lady would love for me to make a pair of these tables. Could you post
        the patterns on the database or links page. Or tell me were you found
        the pattern?

        Yours in Service,
        Alessandro dEste
      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2003
          I used this very well made pattern that I found on the Web
          http://members.shaw.ca/kilowattcommando/projects/table.htm

          Only one or two oddities in the pattern. The first was that the legs are 12
          inches wide, but cutting out of 4 foot sheet you lose the width of your
          blade and the last leg will be off a bit. I allowed for blade kerf and the
          legs are about 1/32" under 12 inches. Not something that would stand out.
          The other thing I noticed is the notch at the top center is not layed out in
          size. It is 1 inch from the top down, and 5/8 inch from the side in. This
          allows the legs to slip over the higed center of the box and provides more
          side to side stability. But all in all the pattern is very easily readable
          and well done.

          The Gentle also has some other cool ideas and patterns.

          I made a few modifications, and there are some things that I will do
          different next time I make one.
          I added a small box to hold the wedges inside so they don't rattle around.
          I used Piano hinge for the top.
          I used Chest latches to close the box.
          I plan to dress up the edge of the ply next time with a 1/4 inch of regular
          wood (where it shows on the top).
          I am planing some benches that two of them will make a second box.
          I will pobably use Oak veener ply for the one that I will keep. It will add
          a few pounds, but most of our camping things are oak. It will also add a
          small amount of money. This version used the least expensive ply I could
          find $18 a sheet. Oak is about $35 a sheet. With hinges and latches, it
          cost about $50 to make, or $65-$70 for oak.

          Also, if you can, make a hardbord pattern for the legs then use a router
          with a pattern bit to make them all the exact same. I also made a patten
          for the ends of the stretchers and routed then the same. One excellent tip
          I recieved from my Laurel when making the Gokstad bed was to make sure each
          end of both stretchers fits well into each and every hole, and the same
          thing for the wedges. Then you don't have to number them or keep trying
          until you find the right combination each time you dut it together.
          --
          YIS,

          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
          Privateer to the Midrealm

          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
          ...Take time to dance in the rain...

          >Rhys
          >I would love to get the pattern for that table.I would like to have
          >one for my dinning table here at home. Or let me say it this way my
          >lady would love for me to make a pair of these tables. Could you post
          >the patterns on the database or links page. Or tell me were you found
          >the pattern?
          >
          >Yours in Service,
          >Alessandro dEste

        • thorkatlamana
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
            Admirable work.

            I have made so many 6 sided boxes like the one pictured with a device
            on the front that I have to number them to keep up now. I would like
            to learn how to make the clamp-front chests that you made your cooler
            chest out of. Do you have a pattern for that one? Are the
            joints across the front joined with mortise and tenon as are the
            handles on the sides? My woodworking skills are in a progressive
            stage with lots to learn. I
            am more of a carver than a woodworker, so please excuse my ignorance.
            I really like your work and the cart is another project I'm
            interested in. How are the wheels made? I have a start on a cart,
            and the wheels are quite a chore the way I'm attempting them.
            Thorkatla
          • Dan Baker
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2003
              Thanks,

              Actually the chest is cheating like crazy. It's all done with biskets and a
              plate joiner. i don't have a pattern for it yet, but I plan to make one up.
              I have made a few of them in the past and I kind of just winged it on this
              one. It was made to fit the cooler and so the dimensions are based on that.
              The sideds are done with screws and plugs. I wanted a certain amount of
              extra strength as the wood was 70 year old pine and it is going to hold a
              lot of weight.

              I will soon have photos of my latest chest online. It is currently being
              banded in iron by a local blacksmith. It is a barrel top "pirate" chest.
              Made out of very old, worm eaten oak. I used spline joints to put the
              boards together. The chest will be the traveling trophy for a pirate fencing
              battle at Baroness Wars in Michigan in September. It is very large,very
              heavy and we plan on using as a prize every year with the winning captain
              bringing it back filled with goodies for the next year.

              I would like to learn more carving. I am more of a woodworker with a focus
              on large items.

              The cart was a highly modified version of Master Avery's Cart
              http://home.i1.net/~avery/cart/cart.html
              there was a complete write up on both of his cart and my modifications in an
              Artes Draconis newletter last year and I was honored to teach a class on
              cart making at Pennsic with Master Avery Last year. you might be able to
              gat a back copy of Artes Draconis at
              http://www.midrealm.org/moas/midrealm_artes_draconis.html

              The wheels ar strictly Master Avery's design and is available on his website
              mentioned above. I have been using is for a bit over three years now with
              minimal wear and tear (it creaks and groans more now) I just patched the
              sheet meatal I put on the wheels for the first time and it has carried over
              600 lbs.