[MedievalSawdust] TabletWeaving / Card loom designs

  • Sevarian/Crispin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2007

      Thanks for this Herveus, these are great. and I admit that I aspire to this level of craftsmanship.

      They look gorgeous, and very adapable.

      With respect to weave length, 15 yards is ample. I guess my concern was that with the "standard" plank loom you need to go through a nasty re-tensioning process every 60cm ( 2.5ft) or so, and this just seems in-elegant to me.

      I will sound milad wife out some more about how serious she is about this before I embark on such an ambitious loom as your design.

      From a constuction point of view - are the latch/wheel's the hardest part? I can't think of a non-laborious and/or time-consuming way in which to make the ratchet wheel.

      Yours,
         Severian.

      On 20/06/07, Michael Houghton < herveus@...> wrote:

      Howdy!

      On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 03:12:19PM +0800, Sevarian/Crispin wrote:

      > I have a couple of requirements for the design:
      > - I want her to be able to feel proud using it at events and festivals,
      > - it needs to be easily portable (less than 6kg (15lb))
      > - shouldn't have "nasty/grotty" weave length limitations
      > - preferably should have adjustable tension controls
      >
      > Does anyone have any ideas?

      I don't have "plans", per se, but you are welcome to examine
      the pictures of the looms I make. You can find them at our
      web site (URL in signature). I think my loom meets your specifications,
      so long as 15 yards does not constitute a length limitation. I've also
      devised a bipod/stand thingy that clips on to hold the far end up at
      a suitable angle without needing a table.

      If you want to try making one, I can give you more specific details
      on things that might not be immediately obvious from the pictures.

      yours,
      Herveus
      herveus@... | White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares
      Bowie, MD, USA | http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
      Proud member of the SCA Internet Whitewash Squad

      .

      --
      Crispin Harris
      crispin.harris@...