Norstead WebCam

  • Robb Schuster
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 19, 2007
      The Amish are onsite and construction has begun:)

      If you use YIM you should be able to monitor the progress from afar
      via a webcam Sam set up

      Here are some instructions for doing so

      On your main YIM screen select the following:

      Messenger/Yahoo Chat/Join a room/Hobbies and Crafts/

      Then click on the plus beside Hobby Lobby

      Then scroll down to Hobby Lobby:1

      Highlight it and hit "Go to room"

      Now, over on the right, scroll down to VikingGuy and double click

      This should open a window that says "senachmcvahien" at the top

      Beside it is a link that says "View My WebCam"

      You may have to try a couple times, I have found that for some reason
      it takes 2 or three tries before the images will appear.

      --
      Halv

      Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat. -Saunders
    • Elizabeth Brakhage
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 19, 2007
        I really need to get down there and see the site sometime.  It sounds so cool.  I was talking with Mikhail about it when I was helping him move this weekend. :-)

        Sara Sophia

        Robb Schuster <schusterrl@...> wrote:
        The Amish are onsite and construction has begun:)

        If you use YIM you should be able to monitor the progress from afar
        via a webcam Sam set up

        Here are some instructions for doing so

        On your main YIM screen select the following:

        Messenger/Yahoo Chat/Join a room/Hobbies and Crafts/

        Then click on the plus beside Hobby Lobby

        Then scroll down to Hobby Lobby:1

        Highlight it and hit "Go to room"

        Now, over on the right, scroll down to VikingGuy and double click

        This should open a window that says "senachmcvahien" at the top

        Beside it is a link that says "View My WebCam"

        You may have to try a couple times, I have found that for some reason
        it takes 2 or three tries before the images will appear.

        --
        Halv

        Only the guy who isn't rowing has time to rock the boat. -Saunders

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

      • leaking pen
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 19, 2007
          are you recording?

          and do they know about this and are okay with it?

          and, COOL!

          On 6/19/07, Robb Schuster <schusterrl@...> wrote:

[...]

          That which yields isn't always weak.
        • Robb Schuster
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 19, 2007
            we are making a trek to site on Sunday:)
            Probably to far to drive for a day trip but I will let you know when we plan the first 'work day' weekend:)

            We can use all the hands we can get once the Amish are done and its our turn to finish our part

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 19, 2007
              On 6/19/07, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:
              are you recording?

              --no

              and do they know about this and are okay with it?

              --yes, its one of the reasons its so far away

              and, COOL!

              --isnt it though:)

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 19, 2007
                I would love to make a trek down there so please do let me know. :-)

[...]

                Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

              • barondevin@insightbb.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007

                  What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?

                  My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to start thinking about Christmas.

                  Devin

                • Brin Kendall
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                    What period??

                    barondevin@... wrote:
                    What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                    My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to start thinking about Christmas.

                    Devin

                  • Ralph Lindberg
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                      Which brings the following up, I just ran across a book on Roman
                      woodworking just published this year, the down side is the $85 (US)
                      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0300103417/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-9781955-3738227?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

                      Fortunately you can see a preview on Google-Books
                      http://books.google.com/books?id=DDh5yOgfnuoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Roman+Woodworking+ulrich&sig=B5CFs3y_sNqMkWLUF38wtT2-0Rs

                      TTFN
                      Ralg
                      An Tir
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                        Unless you are looking for books with potential period projects
                        any book on handtools would be a good edition to your library

                        Roy Underhill's books

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • barondevin@insightbb.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007

                          >> What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                          > What period??

                          I'm mostly interested in the SCA's time period, western Europe from 600-1600 A.D.

                          Devin
                        • Bruce S. R. Lee
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2007
                            I'll repost some comments I made a few months ago about woodworking
                            books with relevant material:

                            15 Feb 07:

                            The first is the recently published 'Roman Woodworking' by Roger
                            Ulrich (ISBN13: 978-0-300-10341-0) 2007 Yale. Very interesting study
                            of surviving Roman woodwork, including architectural use as well as
                            furniture, but not 'small finds'. I got my copy from Amazon for $85US.

                            After I had a quick skim thru' this I did a search for 'Wooden
                            Furniture in Herculaneum' by Stephan Mols ISBN 90 5063 317 X 1999
                            Gieben, which is much referenced by Ulrich. I found this on sale at
                            Oxbow books for 20 Pounds, but its since gone back up to 130 pounds(!!).
                            <snip>
                            If you are interested, I'd recommend getting 'Roman Woodworking' as
                            it covers most of what is in 'Wooden Furniture' and has more on
                            building work, plus it is cheaper to boot. Get 'Wooden Furniture' on
                            I.L.L. if possible

                            26 Feb 07:

                            <snip>
                            This seems to be the same Carole Anne Morris who wrote the wood book
                            for the York Archeological Trust (Craft Industry and Everyday Life:
                            Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York), still
                            in print at 34 Pounds Sterling from Oxbow & a really, really good
                            book, with lots on turning.

                            <snip>

                            'Before the Mast' from the Mary Rose Trust has a number of securely
                            dateable woodworking tools, or at least their wooden remains, as well
                            a number of wooden artifacts. Plus a few hundred other odds & sods
                            all dateable as 'in use' on an exact day.

                            'Before the Mast: Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose' edited by
                            Julie Gardiner

                            I hae copies of all the above books, and as far as I am aware, all
                            these are 'in print' and are available from Oxbow Books
                            http://www.oxbowbooks.com
                            They have a US agent.
                            Amazon have some of these titles available - check Amazon UK as well
                            - the list of book IS slightly different, with the UK site having
                            more "English' titles.

                            regards
                            Brusi of Orkney
                            Rowany/Lochac
                            Sydney/Australia
                          • julian wilson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                              For those Gentles who expressed a desire to see pictures of the 2 Crosses I restored [for the exhibition at the newly-renovated, "gothick-revival" St. Thomas' Church in St. Helier, "old" Jersey], - I now have a picture of each restored cross to upload to the List Photo files, as they requested.
                              I can adjust the images with my graphics programme, for maximum permissable image-resolution, - if someone would please tell me what the preferred/allowable image sizes might be. I don't wish to take-up more space in the Photo Files than others who have more to show than I.

                              Yours in Service,
                              "Matthew Baker",
                              dwelling in "old" Jersey, off the Norman/Breton coast.
                              [aka in 2007 as Julian Wilson, Master Carpenter, resident in the same Island]
                            • Keith Walker
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                                Devin.
                                As you may no, I work at making miniatures, but the book I find great
                                is----The English Home--by Doreen Yarwood----isbn 0 713408057,I know
                                is out of print but have a look on ebay.
                                The book covers Anglo Saxon to 1160-----right though to 1860--1914,
                                It shows details on interiors and covers furniture of the period
                                Keith

                                Keith Walker maker of roomboxes,dioramas, modern and period
                                miniature furniture.
                                Near enough is good enough when near enough is dead right.
                                http://community.webshots.com/user/theshedroof
                                http://members.lycos.co.uk/kwminiatures/

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 3, 2007
                                  We have 22% of our 100MB storage filled....

                                  if they are HUGE files you could always got to photobucket.com
                                  and host them there....

                                  Still do not understand why yahoo gives unlimited storage to
                                  individuals and limits the storage for it's groups....

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Walker"
                                    <theshedroof@...> wrote:

                                    > Devin.---sorry about the spelling mistake
                                    > As you may know, I work at making miniatures, but the book I find
                                    great
                                    > is----The English Home--by Doreen Yarwood----isbn 0 713408057,I
                                    know
                                    > is out of print but have a look on ebay.
                                    > The book covers Anglo Saxon to 1160-----right though to 1860--1914,
                                    > It shows details on interiors and covers furniture of the period
                                    > Keith
                                    >
                                    > Keith Walker maker of roomboxes,dioramas, modern and period
                                    > miniature furniture.
                                    > Near enough is good enough when near enough is dead right.
                                    > http://community.webshots.com/user/theshedroof
                                    > http://members.lycos.co.uk/kwminiatures/
                                    >

                                    > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@ wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                                    > > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
                                    > start thinking about Christmas.
                                    > >
                                    > > Devin

                                  • Derek Olson
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 4, 2007
                                      I have enjoyed and gotten many ideas from these two books by Daniel
                                      Diehl
                                      Constructing Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl ISBN 0-8117-2795-5

                                      http://www.amazon.com/Constructing-Medieval-Furniture-Instructions-
                                      Historical/dp/0811727955/ref=sr_1_1/002-0199466-9612872?
                                      ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194243118&sr=1-1

                                      and Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl and Mark Donnelly ISBN 0-8117-
                                      2854-4

                                      http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Furniture-Instructions-Historical-
                                      Reproductions/dp/0811728544/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/002-0199466-9612872

                                      and for tool references I have to say I love this book, it is out of
                                      print but with some searching you can find a copy for around 30$

                                      The Mästermyr Find: A Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland By by Greta
                                      Arwidsson, and Gosta Berg ISBN 0-9650755-1-6

                                      http://www.amazon.com/M%C3%A4stermyr-Find-Viking-Chest-
                                      Gotland/dp/0965075516/ref=sr_11_1/002-0199466-9612872?
                                      ie=UTF8&qid=1194243487&sr=11-1

                                      hope this helps

                                      Oldwolf

                                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

                                      > What are your favorite resource books for period woodworking?
                                      > My own reference library is very small, and I have been asked to
                                      start thinking about Christmas.

                                      > Devin

                                    • Michael T Combs
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 5, 2007
                                        I love Roy's shows and his books.  They have so much information about techniques and tools

                                        Michaeus

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 17, 2007

                                          Thank you to everyone who replied.

                                          Devin