Re: [MedievalSawdust] Canes/walking sticks?

  • Kristine Elliott
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2007
      On 6/17/07, Barbara Shelanskey <tiger@...> wrote:

      > A friend of mine finds he needs a cane more and more to get around events. He's
      > asked me to make him one, but we were both wondering if there were examples of
      > period canes and/or walking sticks to be found in paintings and such. Off the
      > top of my head, I couldn't think of any, but it's not something I've ever looked
      > specifically for.
      >
      > Anyone have any sources? Simple, ornate, we'd like to see anything!
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > ~Tatjana

      It seems to me Breughel and other realistic painters of his school did
      pictures of people with various physical problems and their tools of
      adaptation. One I remember clearly showed a man with two clubbed feet
      and was not by Breughel but was in a very similar style. (Though he
      was not using a cane, there were other figures in the background who
      might have been.) Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't remember
      where I saw the painting.

      Scolastica

      --
      http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

      If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
      'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz