Canes/walking sticks?

  • Barbara Shelanskey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
      A friend of mine finds he needs a cane more and more to get around events. He's
      asked me to make him one, but we were both wondering if there were examples of
      period canes and/or walking sticks to be found in paintings and such. Off the
      top of my head, I couldn't think of any, but it's not something I've ever looked
      specifically for.

      Anyone have any sources? Simple, ornate, we'd like to see anything!

      Thanks!

      ~Tatjana

      "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

      http://www.wolfandtiger.com
    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
        In my research I have found precious few period examples of walking sticks - that is of the wooden variety - survive. When designing my walking staff (magician/wizard variety) I designed it around period magical symbols. To site period examples, the Laurels suggested that I refer to a Bishop's Crook, for it was a surviving example of a staff intended for ceremonial purposes. I suggest using period designs and build/carve it to your liking. In my opinion, this is a perfect example of using what sources you can find (if any) and exercise your Creative imagination. That is, after all, what the middle letter stands for...

        If you do find some period examples, let me know - the one I built is great for court and performing, but walking through the woods is a bit rough on it.

        In Magical Service,
        Malaki

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
          For some reason, a painting of one of the Louis of France keeps popping up
          in my head.

          Ok, checked it out. It was both Louis XIII and XIV. Both have numerous post
          period paintings with them holding canes. However, that would give you a
          jumping off point for later period canes.

          If I am remembering what my grandfather used to tell me, the shillelagh's of
          Ireland were canes before they became the shorter versions that we know of
          today (no, it's not period research, but I've never researched a shillelagh
          before).

          Again, it's nothing exact, but may get you started on something a little
          more in the period areas you are looking for.

          Lucien.

        • JBRMM266@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
            In a message dated 6/17/2007 5:16:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tiger@... writes:
            Anyone have any sources?  Simple, ornate, we'd like to see anything!
            Jane Ashelford's A Visual history of Costume - the Sixteenth Century has a couple of images of men with walking sticks.

            A portrait of Henry VIII (p. 46) shows him with a walking stick with two elaborate fittings, one at the top and the other about 8 in below it.

            There's one on p. 68 of Dr. William Bullein with a plain walking stick.  Looks to be abt 3-1/2 ft long, straight, with a small knob at the top.

            On p. 98 shows Sir William Bacon holding what the caption calls a staff of office (Lord Chancellor) but I thought the insignia of that office was a signet ring, which he also wears.  That staff looks very similar to the one held by King Hal on p. 46, makes me wonder if it's the same one.

            Those are all straight-sided, not tapered.

            Millia Davenport's The Book of Costume

            p. 261, 1449, a peasant holds a simple walking stick

            P. 311, c. 1447, an elegantly dressed figure (probably a king) holds a very slender walking stick.

            Gothic Art, Peebles Art Library, Sandy Lesberg, Ed. Pages not numbered, but the picture is "The Justice of Emperor Otto" near the front of the book. A courtier holds a walking stick.

            All of these seem to be straight, too . . . leads me to think that the one I use, based on a billiard cue, is not really accurate . . .

            But it has gotten me many compliments. Just a billiard cue, stained dark brown, with a small brass doorknob at the top.

            Yours aye
            Donal Mac Ruiseart

            See what's free at AOL.com.
          • Baron Otto
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
              Message
              I found several examples in the "Trachtenbuch" (from about 1529)
                  Plate CXVI (Old Basque woman's dress)
                  Plate LV (Castilian Shepherd)
              Also on the lintel over the door of Sant'Andrea, the far right figure is holding a walking stick,. It is about breast high and roughly T shapped. There is a second figure just below that one holding one too.

              I'll try to scan the pictures I have and upload them again. It failed the first time.

              Otto

              A friend of mine finds he needs a cane more and more to get around events. He's
              asked me to make him one, but we were both wondering if there were examples of
              period canes and/or walking sticks to be found in paintings and such. Off the
              top of my head, I couldn't think of any, but it's not something I've ever looked
              specifically for.

              Anyone have any sources? Simple, ornate, we'd like to see anything!

              Thanks!

              ~Tatjana

              .

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            • JBRMM266@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
                In a message dated 6/17/2007 5:16:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tiger@... writes:
                Anyone have any sources?  Simple, ornate, we'd like to see anything!
                That Peebles Gallery book has several. Near the center of the book there are two, one showing St. Christopher wading over a river with a child (Jesus?) on his back. He appears to be using a tree branch as a walking stick.  Opposite is a depictioin of St. Anthony carrying a long walking stick (pilgrim staff?) with a T-handle.

                Yours aye
                Donal

                See what's free at AOL.com.
              • Baron Otto
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
                  Message
                  The photo's for these are on the yahoo site

                  Otto

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 18, 2007
                    Thanks, Otto! Keeping in mind that "Medieval perspective sucked", I'm
                    not sure if the lintel image is a cane/walking stick, or a crutch -
                    looks to be 'used' as a cane, it certainly seems tall enough to be used
                    as a crutch. Plate CXVI has the right height, and "might" accidentally
                    be an inverted-L type of cane, used backwards. And Plate LV - anyone
                    who's ever herded any animals knows how useful a staff is. Going from
                    "tool of the trade" to "support while walking" isn't a huge leap at all.

                    First of all, I apologize in advance for not citing sources (I'm taking
                    Father's Day off for anything strenuous like getting off my bum!), but
                    as far as anything like the "relatively modern" crook-top/handled cane,
                    I don't recall seeing any. Walking sticks a-la the "functional
                    fashion-accessory" type, I associate with the 17th to 19th C.'s. That
                    said, I'm not implying that they "weren't" used - and they certainly
                    didn't appear out of thin air!

                    OTOH, who doesn't have a mental image of a Medieval pilgrim with a staff
                    of some sort? I know it's a "mental image" - with the associated
                    book/Hollywood influences, but still... I have a hard time believing
                    that something so useful would be utilized 'only' by pilgrims, on
                    pilgrimage.

                    Donal; love the billiard cue idea! Wonder if I still have my old ones
                    around? Hmmmmmmmmm...

                    Happy (belated) Father's Day, to those who've earned it!
                    Wolf

                    Baron Otto wrote:
                    > The photo's for these are on the yahoo site
                    > HYPERLINK
                    > "http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/medievalsawdust/photos/browse/9906?c"h
                    > ttp://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/medievalsawdust/photos/browse/9906?c=
                    >
                    > Otto
                  • Tracy Swanson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 18, 2007
                      Of course the most period walking stick is just that - a stick. Most people, especially those on a long trip or pilgrimage, would scavenge part of a branch, usually of fallen wood (cheap and available), then cut, carve, wrap, or otherwise decorate it to make it more comfortable to use and to differentiate it as their own. then again, I'm sure that many went the easier route and just used it as is. This is also a likely reason that so few are described in historical texts - why waste time and ink describing something so common? Even the rod or staff of Moses is not described in detail, though it was a major part of the story (changing to a snake, bringing forth water from a stone, etc.). Sort of like the reason there are virtually no bread recipes from ancient Rome - not because they didn't eat bread, as lack of evidence would imply, but because everyone knew how to make it, so why write it down?

                      In Magical Service,
                      Malaki

                      Baron Otto wrote:
                      > The photo's for these are on the yahoo site
                      > HYPERLINK
                      > "http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/medievalsa wdust/photos/ browse/9906? c"h
                      > ttp://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/medievalsa wdust/photos/ browse/9906? c=
                      >
                      > Otto

                    • Kristine Elliott
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 18, 2007
                        On 6/17/07, Barbara Shelanskey <tiger@...> wrote:

                        > A friend of mine finds he needs a cane more and more to get around events. He's
                        > asked me to make him one, but we were both wondering if there were examples of
                        > period canes and/or walking sticks to be found in paintings and such. Off the
                        > top of my head, I couldn't think of any, but it's not something I've ever looked
                        > specifically for.
                        >
                        > Anyone have any sources? Simple, ornate, we'd like to see anything!
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > ~Tatjana

                        It seems to me Breughel and other realistic painters of his school did
                        pictures of people with various physical problems and their tools of
                        adaptation. One I remember clearly showed a man with two clubbed feet
                        and was not by Breughel but was in a very similar style. (Though he
                        was not using a cane, there were other figures in the background who
                        might have been.) Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't remember
                        where I saw the painting.

                        Scolastica

                        --
                        http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

                        If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
                        'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz