question for the group HELP

  • Hester, Gene
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2007
      I am looking for a picture I think I saw on this list. A gentle was showing a folding chair from an A&S . He told a story about trading them for the thrones at that time. It was a good picture of him sitting in one. Id really like to see this picture again for a pattern.
      Thanks
      Dante
    • dmcubed_or_bine
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2007
        I stumbled across this last week when I was putting together my
        woodworking wish list ("wish I had the time to make..."). Is this
        what you were looking for? He didn't actually trade for the thrones,
        but made a suggestion along those lines....

        http://www.sacoriver.net/~freegate/Savonarola.html

        YIS,
        Sabine

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hester, Gene"
        <flnangel5693@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for a picture I think I saw on this list. A gentle was
        > showing a folding chair from an A&S . He told a story about trading them
        > for the thrones at that time. It was a good picture of him sitting in
        > one. Id really like to see this picture again for a pattern.
        > Thanks
        > Dante

      • Rebekah d'Avignon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18, 2007
          If someone is interested in a cheap, easy to make project so that they get some experience in working with wood, but have minimal tools and/or disposable income for such things, this is a good place to start. These chairs can be made with only hand tools, but power tools make it go faster and easier. Do not worry about "having a pattern" to exactly copy what someone else has done. Some people use wood dowels for connecting the parts, others use all-thread, washers, and nuts. The only "exact" measurement to really be concerned with is......the seat needs to be 16" to 18" from the ground, depending on how tall you are. For children the seat should be 12" - 14".
          IMHO - people, especially those new to woodworking, get caught up in the idea that "there is only one way to build a project". Ain't so. Just because someone else used quarter-sawn oak does not mean that you can't use a different wood. Just because someone else cut a board to 13/64" doesn't mean that you can't fudge it to 3/16". We aren't doing perfectionist replacement parts for a museum piece. If you build something for yourself.....nevermind, some months ago I built a bookcase for myself. It's 6' tall (give or take) and the shelves are 32" long....more or less. I didn't use a "pattern" to build it. I bought 2) 1 x 12s (pine) that were 6' long....makes it easy. An 8' board cuts into 3 pcs 32" long (yes, yes, minus the saw kerf). It's backed with a piece of luan underlayment (1/8" plywood) and held together with drywall screws. Can I make a better piece? Yes, but this works and looks okay. More importantly it gets my books out of boxes and off the floor. I haven't stained it, but I'm not really worried about that - I don't live in a showcase house. Just because someone else shaved (round tapered) the ends doesn't mean that you can't mortise/tenon them. Or dovetail. Or sliding dovetail. The usual comment is, "But it doesn't look like his." It doesn't HAVE to look like what someone else did.....it's your project.

          dmcubed_or_bine <dmcubed@...> wrote:
          I stumbled across this last week when I was putting together my woodworking wish list ("wish I had the time to make..."). Is this what you were looking for? He didn't actually trade for the thrones, but made a suggestion along those lines....

          http://www.sacorive r.net/~freegate/ Savonarola. html

          YIS,
          Sabine
          .

          When you get down to it about all a man has to call his own is his values. When you sell those out, you don't have anything left.

          Col Sherman Potter
          4077 MASH

        • Hester, Gene
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 18, 2007
            Thank you soo much.

            <flnangel5693@ ...> wrote:

            > I am
            looking for a picture I think I saw on this list. A gentle was
            > showing a
            folding chair from an A&S . He told a story about trading them
            > for
            the thrones at that time. It was a good picture of him sitting in
            > one.
            Id really like to see this picture again for a pattern.
            > Thanks

            Dante