Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Book

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2007
      Thank you Ralg and Siegfried. It just moved down on my priority list.

      Take care.
      Beth

      At 08:05 PM 6/12/2007, you wrote:
      >Having been to the Rijksmuseum ... they do have a number of 16th
      >century things as well. I took a number of pictures when I was there
      >:)
      >
      >I have no idea about the book ... it being recently published however.
      >
      >Stuff they had was VERY high design, very fanciful, lots of inlay work.
      >
      >Siegfried
      >

      >On 6/12/07, Ralph Lindberg <n7bsn@...> wrote:
      > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
      > > <bmatney@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
      > > >
      > > > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
      > > > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
      > > > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
      > > > ISBN: 9789086890149
      > > > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
      > > >
      > > From a writeup on the book
      > > ...The Rijksmuseum has the largest and finest collection of
      > > 17th-century Dutch furniture in the world. The art of furniture making
      > > flourished in the Golden Age just as remarkably as the other arts -
      > > pieces of furniture were expressly made as works of art and regarded
      > > as such.This book tells the story of the amazing development and
      > > immense diversity of 17th-century Dutch furniture.....
      > >
      > > My guess, nope
      > >
      > > TTFN
      > > Ralg
      > > AnTir
      > >

      >--
      >THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
      >Barony of Highland Foorde - Baronial Archery Marshal
      >Kingdom of Atlantia - Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
      >http://eliw.com/ - http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

    • Jan-Simon Hoogschagen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
        <bmatney@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
        >
        > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
        > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
        > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
        > ISBN: 9789086890149
        > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
        >
        > Beth Matney

        Hi Beth,
        The Dutch Golden Age was the 17th century, Ralph pointed to that as
        well. I do not think you will find what you are looking for in that book.
        If you are looking for Dutch furniture before 1600 the book to look
        for is "Thuis de late middeleeuwen. Het Nederlands burgerinterieur,
        1400 - 1535" Zwolle, 1980. 203pp. It is a wonderful book with hundreds
        of pictures of chests, benches, cupboards, tables, cutlery, pottery,
        candlesticks etc. etc. All with origin and date.
        A few problems perhaps: there is only a Dutch language version and it
        is quite rare and in high demand, therefore expensive.

        best regards,
        Jan-Simon
      • Beth and Bob Matney
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
          Thank you Jan-Simon. I'll try to find a copy.

          Beth

          At 06:57 AM 6/13/2007, you wrote:
          >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
          ><bmatney@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
          > >
          > > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
          > > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
          > > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
          > > ISBN: 9789086890149
          > > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
          > >
          > > Beth Matney
          > >

          >Hi Beth,
          >The Dutch Golden Age was the 17th century, Ralph pointed to that as
          >well. I do not think you will find what you are looking for in that book.
          >If you are looking for Dutch furniture before 1600 the book to look
          >for is "Thuis de late middeleeuwen. Het Nederlands burgerinterieur,
          >1400 - 1535" Zwolle, 1980. 203pp. It is a wonderful book with hundreds
          >of pictures of chests, benches, cupboards, tables, cutlery, pottery,
          >candlesticks etc. etc. All with origin and date.
          >A few problems perhaps: there is only a Dutch language version and it
          >is quite rare and in high demand, therefore expensive.
          >
          >best regards,
          >Jan-Simon
        • Jan-Simon Hoogschagen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
            No problem.
            I noticed a typo: it should be "Thuis in de late middeleeuwen" ('At
            home in the late Middleages').
            Are you looking for anything in particular? I could make a few scans.

            Jan-Simon

            <bmatney@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Jan-Simon. I'll try to find a copy.
            >
            > Beth
            >
            > At 06:57 AM 6/13/2007, you wrote:
            > >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
            > ><bmatney@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
            > > >
            > > > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
            > > > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
            > > > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
            > > > ISBN: 9789086890149
            > > > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
            > > >
            > > > Beth Matney
            > > >

            > >Hi Beth,
            > >The Dutch Golden Age was the 17th century, Ralph pointed to that as
            > >well. I do not think you will find what you are looking for in that
            book.
            > >If you are looking for Dutch furniture before 1600 the book to look
            > >for is "Thuis de late middeleeuwen. Het Nederlands burgerinterieur,
            > >1400 - 1535" Zwolle, 1980. 203pp. It is a wonderful book with hundreds
            > >of pictures of chests, benches, cupboards, tables, cutlery, pottery,
            > >candlesticks etc. etc. All with origin and date.
            > >A few problems perhaps: there is only a Dutch language version and it
            > >is quite rare and in high demand, therefore expensive.
            > >
            > >best regards,
            > >Jan-Simon

          • Beth and Bob Matney
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
              Thank you again. No, I'm not looking for anything in particular...
              just adding to my reference collection. My husband and I am
              interested in virtually anything wood related (post-Roman to 1600),
              from domestic artifacts to post or timber-frame building construction.

              Beth