Book

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2007
      Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?

      Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
      Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
      Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
      ISBN: 9789086890149
      numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)

      Beth Matney
    • Ralph Lindberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2007
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
        <bmatney@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
        >
        > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
        > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
        > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
        > ISBN: 9789086890149
        > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)

        From a writeup on the book
        ...The Rijksmuseum has the largest and finest collection of
        17th-century Dutch furniture in the world. The art of furniture making
        flourished in the Golden Age just as remarkably as the other arts -
        pieces of furniture were expressly made as works of art and regarded
        as such.This book tells the story of the amazing development and
        immense diversity of 17th-century Dutch furniture.....

        My guess, nope

        TTFN
        Ralg
        AnTir
      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2007
          Having been to the Rijksmuseum ... they do have a number of 16th
          century things as well. I took a number of pictures when I was there
          :)

          I have no idea about the book ... it being recently published however.

          Stuff they had was VERY high design, very fanciful, lots of inlay work.

          Siegfried

          On 6/12/07, Ralph Lindberg <n7bsn@...> wrote:
          > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
          > <bmatney@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
          > >
          > > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
          > > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
          > > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
          > > ISBN: 9789086890149
          > > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
          > >
          > From a writeup on the book
          > ...The Rijksmuseum has the largest and finest collection of
          > 17th-century Dutch furniture in the world. The art of furniture making
          > flourished in the Golden Age just as remarkably as the other arts -
          > pieces of furniture were expressly made as works of art and regarded
          > as such.This book tells the story of the amazing development and
          > immense diversity of 17th-century Dutch furniture.....
          >
          > My guess, nope
          >
          > TTFN
          > Ralg
          > AnTir

        • Beth and Bob Matney
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2007
            Thank you Ralg and Siegfried. It just moved down on my priority list.

            Take care.
            Beth

            At 08:05 PM 6/12/2007, you wrote:
            >Having been to the Rijksmuseum ... they do have a number of 16th
            >century things as well. I took a number of pictures when I was there
            >:)
            >
            >I have no idea about the book ... it being recently published however.
            >
            >Stuff they had was VERY high design, very fanciful, lots of inlay work.
            >
            >Siegfried
            >

            >On 6/12/07, Ralph Lindberg <n7bsn@...> wrote:
            > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
            > > <bmatney@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
            > > >
            > > > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
            > > > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
            > > > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
            > > > ISBN: 9789086890149
            > > > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
            > > >
            > > From a writeup on the book
            > > ...The Rijksmuseum has the largest and finest collection of
            > > 17th-century Dutch furniture in the world. The art of furniture making
            > > flourished in the Golden Age just as remarkably as the other arts -
            > > pieces of furniture were expressly made as works of art and regarded
            > > as such.This book tells the story of the amazing development and
            > > immense diversity of 17th-century Dutch furniture.....
            > >
            > > My guess, nope
            > >
            > > TTFN
            > > Ralg
            > > AnTir
            > >

            >--
            >THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
            >Barony of Highland Foorde - Baronial Archery Marshal
            >Kingdom of Atlantia - Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
            >http://eliw.com/ - http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

          • Jan-Simon Hoogschagen
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
              <bmatney@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
              >
              > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
              > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
              > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
              > ISBN: 9789086890149
              > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
              >
              > Beth Matney

              Hi Beth,
              The Dutch Golden Age was the 17th century, Ralph pointed to that as
              well. I do not think you will find what you are looking for in that book.
              If you are looking for Dutch furniture before 1600 the book to look
              for is "Thuis de late middeleeuwen. Het Nederlands burgerinterieur,
              1400 - 1535" Zwolle, 1980. 203pp. It is a wonderful book with hundreds
              of pictures of chests, benches, cupboards, tables, cutlery, pottery,
              candlesticks etc. etc. All with origin and date.
              A few problems perhaps: there is only a Dutch language version and it
              is quite rare and in high demand, therefore expensive.

              best regards,
              Jan-Simon
            • Beth and Bob Matney
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
                Thank you Jan-Simon. I'll try to find a copy.

                Beth

                At 06:57 AM 6/13/2007, you wrote:
                >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
                ><bmatney@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
                > >
                > > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
                > > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
                > > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
                > > ISBN: 9789086890149
                > > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
                > >
                > > Beth Matney
                > >

                >Hi Beth,
                >The Dutch Golden Age was the 17th century, Ralph pointed to that as
                >well. I do not think you will find what you are looking for in that book.
                >If you are looking for Dutch furniture before 1600 the book to look
                >for is "Thuis de late middeleeuwen. Het Nederlands burgerinterieur,
                >1400 - 1535" Zwolle, 1980. 203pp. It is a wonderful book with hundreds
                >of pictures of chests, benches, cupboards, tables, cutlery, pottery,
                >candlesticks etc. etc. All with origin and date.
                >A few problems perhaps: there is only a Dutch language version and it
                >is quite rare and in high demand, therefore expensive.
                >
                >best regards,
                >Jan-Simon
              • Jan-Simon Hoogschagen
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
                  No problem.
                  I noticed a typo: it should be "Thuis in de late middeleeuwen" ('At
                  home in the late Middleages').
                  Are you looking for anything in particular? I could make a few scans.

                  Jan-Simon

                  <bmatney@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you Jan-Simon. I'll try to find a copy.
                  >
                  > Beth
                  >
                  > At 06:57 AM 6/13/2007, you wrote:
                  > >--- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Beth and Bob Matney
                  > ><bmatney@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Has anyone seen this book? Anything before 1600 in it?
                  > > >
                  > > > Title: Furniture in Holland's Golden Age
                  > > > Author: BARRSEN, REINIER
                  > > > Price: $57.50 (Shamansky)
                  > > > ISBN: 9789086890149
                  > > > numerous color photos. English text. (Rijksmuseum dossiers, 9)
                  > > >
                  > > > Beth Matney
                  > > >

                  > >Hi Beth,
                  > >The Dutch Golden Age was the 17th century, Ralph pointed to that as
                  > >well. I do not think you will find what you are looking for in that
                  book.
                  > >If you are looking for Dutch furniture before 1600 the book to look
                  > >for is "Thuis de late middeleeuwen. Het Nederlands burgerinterieur,
                  > >1400 - 1535" Zwolle, 1980. 203pp. It is a wonderful book with hundreds
                  > >of pictures of chests, benches, cupboards, tables, cutlery, pottery,
                  > >candlesticks etc. etc. All with origin and date.
                  > >A few problems perhaps: there is only a Dutch language version and it
                  > >is quite rare and in high demand, therefore expensive.
                  > >
                  > >best regards,
                  > >Jan-Simon

                • Beth and Bob Matney
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 13, 2007
                    Thank you again. No, I'm not looking for anything in particular...
                    just adding to my reference collection. My husband and I am
                    interested in virtually anything wood related (post-Roman to 1600),
                    from domestic artifacts to post or timber-frame building construction.

                    Beth