RE: [MedievalSawdust] makers mark

  • scorch
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007

      I remember a technique for making leather tooling stamps that would
      possibly work for a maker's mark tool.

      You take a very large nail/spike/tentpeg - like a 10-penny nail, then
      using drills, files, saws, etc., you "carve" away the background
      of your design. You're going for a signet-ring type thing, either
      'positive' or 'negative'.

      You then cut off the excess part of the shaft of the nail to get a flat
      end. Different size nails will give you different size designs.

      You then can either use it like a stamping tool, placing the design
      end on the surface and giving it a whack with a hammer on the cut
      end; or you can heat the design end and use it to burn the mark in
      (hold the stamp with pliers or make a wooden handle for it.)

      Eoin

      Building a website is a piece of cake.
    • M Descoteau
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
        I had a wood burning design done of my logo that I
        use, it's a fairy dragon, and I attach it to my wood
        burning pen and use that, not exactly period, but then
        I don't mark it in the open, it's marked in a place
        that doesn't show, and most times can't be found
        unless you know where to look. <G>

        Mike

        http://www.cerritos.edu/jengebretson/medieval-bench-by-jim.jpg

        http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/index7.html

        http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/index10.html

        http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/large-93.html

        > Ailill mac Duib Dara
        > CAID

        that gives answers, not web links.
      • Chuck Phillips
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007

          Jim/Ailill;

          What I have done in similar circumstances is to carve in a message along the lines of “This was made by Ailill for his friends Elyn and Ivarr on the occasion of  their wedding, <date>”   It doesn’t take long to do with a simple font and a v-groove tool.

          Charles

          No longer working weekends at Rockler, as I’ve found a more lucrative gig.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
            Greetings,

            Whenever I construct a piece, be it gift or otherwise, I burn my game initials (KvL) in an inconspicuous place.  I use a mundane electric soldering/decoration iron and call it a day.

            Karl von Lagerstein

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
              If you are need/want of a custom branding iron, I suggest looking at
              http://www.brandnew.net/hob_main.asp rather then Woodcraft (which is
              just a re-marketer for yet another firm)

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir
            • Barbara Shelanskey
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                Thanks for posting that! I've been wanting a branding iron, but have been
                balking at the price at Woodcraft.

                Mir!
                Tatjana

                "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

                Wolf and Tiger Woodworking has been updated! Take a look!
                http://www.wolfandtiger.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 14, 2007
                  > If you are need/want of a custom branding iron, I suggest
                  > looking at http://www.brandnew.net/hob_main.asp rather then
                  > Woodcraft (which is just a re-marketer for yet another firm)
                  > TTFN, Ralg, AnTir

                  Oh dear. They have a Laurel wreath one.... how - tempting!

                  Hrothny