makers mark

  • Jim Engebretson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
      Recently, I made a medieval bench for our friends' wedding. At that
      time, my friend Elyn said that I reserve the right to place a makers
      mark on the bench.

      How does one create a tool for the purpose of embossing a maker's
      mark on wooden furniture?

      By the way, here are pictures of the walnut medieval bench; using
      mortise and tenon joinery.

      http://www.cerritos.edu/jengebretson/medieval-bench-by-jim.jpg

      Photos of Elyn & Ivarr's wedding (taken by Carol) – some pictures
      show the medieval bench I made
      http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/index7.html
      http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/index10.html
      http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/large-93.html

      Ailill mac Duib Dara
      CAID
    • Charles Hardy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
        That bench is absolutely beautiful! What I have done in the past is use
        alpha leather stamps to put my initials into the wood, but I'm sure
        there are other ways to do it. If you know someone who does casting they
        might be able to cast you a tool to make your makers mark impression in
        the wood.

        Jim Engebretson wrote:
        > Recently, I made a medieval bench for our friends' wedding. At that
        > time, my friend Elyn said that I reserve the right to place a makers
        > mark on the bench.
        >
        > How does one create a tool for the purpose of embossing a maker's
        > mark on wooden furniture?
        >
        > By the way, here are pictures of the walnut medieval bench; using
        > mortise and tenon joinery.
        >
        > http://www.cerritos.edu/jengebretson/medieval-bench-by-jim.jpg
        >
        > Photos of Elyn & Ivarr's wedding (taken by Carol) – some pictures
        > show the medieval bench I made
        > http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/index7.html
        > http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/index10.html
        > http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/large-93.html
        >
        > Ailill mac Duib Dara
        > CAID

      • leaking pen
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
          depends how youre going to put it on. are you going to burn it in, carve it?  you could make a branding iron, just twisted wire in teh pattern.  you could shape a larger metal piece, 22 guage sheet steel, and use a wood block and rubber mallet to pound the blade in to make the shape.  you could make a rubber stamp pad to use with stain.  you could just hand carve it.  you could make a stencil and paint stain over it, or, paint glue down, stain, then remove the glue to get a reverse effect.

          depends on how you want it to look .

          --
          That which yields isn't always weak.
        • Tracy Swanson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
            I have seen where makers have had branding irons made, some can even have your signature (see Woodcraft catalogue), thus the term "brand". The simplest (and one of the most period) method for creating a maker's mark is to file the head of a nail or bolt to the reverse of the mark you wish to use, then position it and place with a blow of the hammer. This method has the advantage of being both reusable and hard for competitors reproduce.

            In Magical Service,
            Malaki

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007

              I remember a technique for making leather tooling stamps that would
              possibly work for a maker's mark tool.

              You take a very large nail/spike/tentpeg - like a 10-penny nail, then
              using drills, files, saws, etc., you "carve" away the background
              of your design. You're going for a signet-ring type thing, either
              'positive' or 'negative'.

              You then cut off the excess part of the shaft of the nail to get a flat
              end. Different size nails will give you different size designs.

              You then can either use it like a stamping tool, placing the design
              end on the surface and giving it a whack with a hammer on the cut
              end; or you can heat the design end and use it to burn the mark in
              (hold the stamp with pliers or make a wooden handle for it.)

              Eoin

              Building a website is a piece of cake.
            • M Descoteau
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
                I had a wood burning design done of my logo that I
                use, it's a fairy dragon, and I attach it to my wood
                burning pen and use that, not exactly period, but then
                I don't mark it in the open, it's marked in a place
                that doesn't show, and most times can't be found
                unless you know where to look. <G>

                Mike
                --- Jim Engebretson <jenge@...> wrote:

                > Recently, I made a medieval bench for our friends'
                > wedding. At that
                > time, my friend Elyn said that I reserve the right
                > to place a makers
                > mark on the bench.
                >
                > How does one create a tool for the purpose of
                > embossing a maker's
                > mark on wooden furniture?
                >
                > By the way, here are pictures of the walnut medieval
                > bench; using
                > mortise and tenon joinery.

                http://www.cerritos.edu/jengebretson/medieval-bench-by-jim.jpg

                > Photos of Elyn & Ivarr's wedding (taken by Carol) –
                > some pictures
                > show the medieval bench I made

                http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/index7.html

                http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/index10.html

                http://www.pagedart.com/Elyn_Ivarr_Wedding/large-93.html

                > Ailill mac Duib Dara
                > CAID

                that gives answers, not web links.
              • Chuck Phillips
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007

                  Jim/Ailill;

                  What I have done in similar circumstances is to carve in a message along the lines of “This was made by Ailill for his friends Elyn and Ivarr on the occasion of  their wedding, <date>”   It doesn’t take long to do with a simple font and a v-groove tool.

                  Charles

                  No longer working weekends at Rockler, as I’ve found a more lucrative gig.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
                    Greetings,

                    Whenever I construct a piece, be it gift or otherwise, I burn my game initials (KvL) in an inconspicuous place.  I use a mundane electric soldering/decoration iron and call it a day.

                    Karl von Lagerstein

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                      If you are need/want of a custom branding iron, I suggest looking at
                      http://www.brandnew.net/hob_main.asp rather then Woodcraft (which is
                      just a re-marketer for yet another firm)

                      TTFN
                      Ralg
                      AnTir
                    • Barbara Shelanskey
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                        Thanks for posting that! I've been wanting a branding iron, but have been
                        balking at the price at Woodcraft.

                        Mir!
                        Tatjana

                        "It's never too late to be what you might have been."

                        Wolf and Tiger Woodworking has been updated! Take a look!
                        http://www.wolfandtiger.com

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 14, 2007
                          > If you are need/want of a custom branding iron, I suggest
                          > looking at http://www.brandnew.net/hob_main.asp rather then
                          > Woodcraft (which is just a re-marketer for yet another firm)
                          > TTFN, Ralg, AnTir

                          Oh dear. They have a Laurel wreath one.... how - tempting!

                          Hrothny