medieval buildings of St. Cross, Winchester - old chairs - roof timbers, &c

  • Julian
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2007
      I have just posted three pictures of "14th Cent bentwood chairs" to
      the photo files, for the interest of the Gentles of this List.
      It is now 0954 BST, Sunday, 10/6/2007 - so give your Moderators time
      to release the pictures into the photo files, before you go looking
      for them.

      Last weekend, my House was privileged to take part in an SCA event to
      re-create the last part of a medieval Pilgrimage to the Shrine of St
      Swithin, in Winchester Cathedral, starting from the medieval
      Almshouse & Hospital of St. Cross to the South of the City; and
      walking – in medieval garb - in small groups through the
      watermeadows alongside the lovely River Itchen, to the Cathedral.

      The Hospital and it's attached Norman Church largely escaped the
      depredations of Thomas Cromwell's Commissioners after the Schism in
      1538; and, later, of Oliver's Parliamentarians – because the
      Hospital was and is a "Lay Foundation" dedicated to the relief of the
      Poor, and not a religious one.

      The Buildings of St Cross have been continuously-occupied by the
      Brothers ever since their Foundation and construction, and were
      largely completed by the end of the 15th Century. Once entered
      through the outer Gate, the enclave has very few external
      anachronisms, nor do the rooms which are open to the Public.

      I now also intend to post pictures of the interior of the Master's
      Hall - a wonderful bit of work using Spanish Chestnut – which is
      apparently resistant to borers and rot; - including the lovely
      timber roof, the panelling, the Mistrel gallery, and the 15th century
      Stairs to the Master's Lodgings.

      YiS,
      Matthew Baker,
      dwelling in "old" Jersey