Re: [medievalsawdust] bed wrench

  • Alfricr
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003

      YIS Jill Blackhorse
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
        Gotta get the eyes checked... on first glance I thought this said bed Wench and I didn't think we wanted to go there. :-)

                 Hey, if I could make one of those in the shop I'd never leave!

        Aodhfin
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
          >...drive the wooden peg into place...<

          That was one of my theories....
          thanks!

          --- "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...> wrote:
          > There is a description and picture of a similar
          > wrench for rope beds in the Foxfire Books,
          > specifically, Foxfire 2 on page 396. I scanned the
          > pictures and put them up at
          > http://www.stcarol.org/images/bedwrench.jpg
          >
          > The accompanying text on the page reads as follows:
          >
          > "The photograph illustrates the rope wrench used to
          > tighten the ropes on a corded bed (Vol. I, pp.
          > 139-141). You can make a duplicate easily for your
          > own corded bed. To tighten the ropes, simply follow
          > the path the man used who wove the rope through the
          > bedframe in the first place. Work with the loops
          > that appear on the outside of the frame. Start with
          > the first loop the rope makes, "foul" the forked
          > wrench in the loop, twist until the first length of
          > rope is tight, drive the wooden peg into place in
          > the hole in the bedframe to hold that first rope
          > length tightly in place; then move to the second
          > loop at the opposite end with the forked wrench,
          > twist the second length of rope tight, have your
          > helper free the wooden peg from the first hole and
          > bring it up to you to be driven into the second hole
          > to hold the second length tight while you move to
          > the third loop down at the opposite end of the
          > bedframe, and so on until the whole web is the
          > desired tension. Retie the knot a the end of the
          > rope that holds the whole web in place so that you
          > won't lose that tension, and you're in business."
          >
          > I hope this is helpful,
          > Bran
          >
          > Bran Du ap Dafydd

          =====
          Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
          Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • Alessandro dEste
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
            <baronconal@y...> wrote:
            > >...drive the wooden peg into place...<
            >
            > That was one of my theories....
            > thanks!

            The last rope bed I had I used for many years. The rope would need
            tightening about 4 times a season of going out every weekend. I used
            the wood peg system and the bed wrench seen in the foxfire book.
            I now use the same bed for everyday use for my oldest son(8yrs old).
            I have replaced the ropes twice in the 6 years he has used it.And I
            tighten them about 3 times a year.
            Alessandro dEste
          • Alessandro dEste
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:

              > >Gotta get the eyes checked... on first glance I thought this said bed
              > >Wench and I didn't think we wanted to go there. :-)
              >
              > Hey, if I could make one of those in the shop I'd never leave!
              >
              > Aodhfin

              Sounds like a new merchanting ideal for Pennsic next year.

              Ad,
              Are you single or just can't find that right wench for your bed.
              Well fear not My Lords and My Ladys.
              Medievalsawdust has the answer for you in your time of need.
              Our New patented "Bed Wench" will keep the bed nice and tight for
              those long knights. "Bed Wench" a registered trade mark of
              Medievalsawdust a Yahoo group.

              IYS
              Alessandro dEste
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003

                > Sounds like a new merchanting ideal for Pennsic next
                > year.
                >
                > Ad,
                > Are you single or just can't find that right wench
                > for your bed.
                > Well fear not My Lords and My Ladys.
                > Medievalsawdust has the answer for you in your time
                > of need.
                > Our New patented "Bed Wench" will keep the bed nice
                > and tight for
                > those long knights. "Bed Wench" a registered trade
                > mark of
                > Medievalsawdust a Yahoo group.
                >
                > IYS
                > Alessandro dEste

                I'd want to make them from something other
                than red oak then......

                ....imagine the splinters....!!

                Ouch!

                =====
                Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Alessandro dEste
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
                  <baronconal@y...> wrote:

                  > I'd want to make them from something other
                  > than red oak then......
                  >
                  > ....imagine the splinters....!!
                  >
                  > Ouch!
                  >
                  > =====