Dowel history question

  • Gunther von Sachsenhausen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2007
      I suspect that this has already been discussed, so refer me to an
      earlier post if necessary.
      My question is: how far back in history can we document the use of
      dowels in joinery?
      Gunther
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2007

        As a stretcher, spindle, or pin?

        Will

        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2007
          That's an excellent question, and I should clarify what I'm asking
          about. I believe I may be asking about the use of dowels as pins, but
          I'm not sure. I am not familiar with stretchers or spindles, but I
          would enjoy reading any resources you could refer me to. Please give
          me some links so that I can investigate this more effectively.
          Gunther

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Bill McNutt" <mcnutt@...>
          wrote:

          > As a stretcher, spindle, or pin?
          >

          > Will
          >

          > _____

        • WR
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2007
            Pins - used to hold one piece of wood to another, often not seen except
            for a round circle on the face of one piece of wood;

            Stretcher - round or shaped piece of wood used, for instance, between
            the legs of chairs (think "where you rest your feet when sitting on a
            bar-stool"), also known as rungs;

            Spindle - round or shaped vertical pieces, running up the back of a
            chair or from the top of the seat to the bottom of the arm.

            (and if I'm wrong, Master Will will have me sweeping out the shop for
            the next 20 years!)