bed wrench

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
      Anyone know how this works?

      I'm not really looking for guesses.
      I've got plenty of those myself.

      I've made one and I plan on trying
      it on my rope bed, but I was wondering
      if anyone else already had.

      thanks in advnace!

      =====
      Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
      Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Brian D. Murphy
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
        There is a description and picture of a similar wrench for rope beds in the Foxfire Books, specifically, Foxfire 2 on page 396.  I scanned the pictures and put them up at http://www.stcarol.org/images/bedwrench.jpg

        The accompanying text on the page reads as follows:

        "The photograph illustrates the rope wrench used to tighten the ropes on a corded bed (Vol. I, pp. 139-141).  You can make a duplicate easily for your own corded bed.  To tighten the ropes, simply follow the path the man used who wove the rope through the bedframe in the first place.  Work with the loops that appear on the outside of the frame.  Start with the first loop the rope makes, "foul" the forked wrench in the loop, twist until the first length of rope is tight, drive the wooden peg into place in the hole in the bedframe to hold that first rope length tightly in place; then move to the second loop at the opposite end with the forked wrench, twist the second length of rope tight, have your helper free the wooden peg from the first hole and bring it up to you to be driven into the second hole to hold the second length tight while you move to the third loop down at the opposite end of the bedframe, and so on until the whole web is the desired tension.  Retie the knot a the end of the rope that holds the whole web in place so that you won't lose that tension, and you're in business."

        I hope this is helpful,
        Bran

        Bran Du ap Dafydd

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003

          YIS Jill Blackhorse
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5, 2003
            Gotta get the eyes checked... on first glance I thought this said bed Wench and I didn't think we wanted to go there. :-)

                     Hey, if I could make one of those in the shop I'd never leave!

            Aodhfin
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
              >...drive the wooden peg into place...<

              That was one of my theories....
              thanks!

              --- "Brian D. Murphy" <bmurphy@...> wrote:
              > There is a description and picture of a similar
              > wrench for rope beds in the Foxfire Books,
              > specifically, Foxfire 2 on page 396. I scanned the
              > pictures and put them up at
              > http://www.stcarol.org/images/bedwrench.jpg
              >
              > The accompanying text on the page reads as follows:
              >
              > "The photograph illustrates the rope wrench used to
              > tighten the ropes on a corded bed (Vol. I, pp.
              > 139-141). You can make a duplicate easily for your
              > own corded bed. To tighten the ropes, simply follow
              > the path the man used who wove the rope through the
              > bedframe in the first place. Work with the loops
              > that appear on the outside of the frame. Start with
              > the first loop the rope makes, "foul" the forked
              > wrench in the loop, twist until the first length of
              > rope is tight, drive the wooden peg into place in
              > the hole in the bedframe to hold that first rope
              > length tightly in place; then move to the second
              > loop at the opposite end with the forked wrench,
              > twist the second length of rope tight, have your
              > helper free the wooden peg from the first hole and
              > bring it up to you to be driven into the second hole
              > to hold the second length tight while you move to
              > the third loop down at the opposite end of the
              > bedframe, and so on until the whole web is the
              > desired tension. Retie the knot a the end of the
              > rope that holds the whole web in place so that you
              > won't lose that tension, and you're in business."
              >
              > I hope this is helpful,
              > Bran
              >
              > Bran Du ap Dafydd

              =====
              Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
              Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • Alessandro dEste
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
                <baronconal@y...> wrote:
                > >...drive the wooden peg into place...<
                >
                > That was one of my theories....
                > thanks!

                The last rope bed I had I used for many years. The rope would need
                tightening about 4 times a season of going out every weekend. I used
                the wood peg system and the bed wrench seen in the foxfire book.
                I now use the same bed for everyday use for my oldest son(8yrs old).
                I have replaced the ropes twice in the 6 years he has used it.And I
                tighten them about 3 times a year.
                Alessandro dEste
              • Alessandro dEste
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scott Lane <scotty@o...> wrote:

                  > >Gotta get the eyes checked... on first glance I thought this said bed
                  > >Wench and I didn't think we wanted to go there. :-)
                  >
                  > Hey, if I could make one of those in the shop I'd never leave!
                  >
                  > Aodhfin

                  Sounds like a new merchanting ideal for Pennsic next year.

                  Ad,
                  Are you single or just can't find that right wench for your bed.
                  Well fear not My Lords and My Ladys.
                  Medievalsawdust has the answer for you in your time of need.
                  Our New patented "Bed Wench" will keep the bed nice and tight for
                  those long knights. "Bed Wench" a registered trade mark of
                  Medievalsawdust a Yahoo group.

                  IYS
                  Alessandro dEste
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003

                    > Sounds like a new merchanting ideal for Pennsic next
                    > year.
                    >
                    > Ad,
                    > Are you single or just can't find that right wench
                    > for your bed.
                    > Well fear not My Lords and My Ladys.
                    > Medievalsawdust has the answer for you in your time
                    > of need.
                    > Our New patented "Bed Wench" will keep the bed nice
                    > and tight for
                    > those long knights. "Bed Wench" a registered trade
                    > mark of
                    > Medievalsawdust a Yahoo group.
                    >
                    > IYS
                    > Alessandro dEste

                    I'd want to make them from something other
                    than red oak then......

                    ....imagine the splinters....!!

                    Ouch!

                    =====
                    Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Alessandro dEste
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
                      <baronconal@y...> wrote:

                      > I'd want to make them from something other
                      > than red oak then......
                      >
                      > ....imagine the splinters....!!
                      >
                      > Ouch!
                      >
                      > =====