Crossbow?

  • gilmyn
    Message 1 of 27 , May 17, 2007
      Greetings good gentles,
      Here is a somewhat strange question, Does anyone out there have a
      period crossbow they dont shoot anymore or know of someone. Anyway if
      you have one or know of someone who does or you make them please let me
      know. Thank You. Sincerly Blackleg Gilmyn
    • Tracy Swanson
      Message 2 of 27 , May 17, 2007
        I do not have a crossbow to spare, but I have operated a Crossbow Project, where, through a series of workshops raw materials were made into a light, Medieval crossbow. The project introduced its members, not only to woodworking, but to carving as well. I am presently working on a document that will describe how to build it (with three period stock designs), and what materials and tools are needed. Contact me off list and I will be happy to send a copy as soon as it is finished.

        The only problem that we encountered with the Crossbow Project was access to prods (the bow). We ordered a set of 13 from Alchem and a year later had still not received our order. If anyone knows of another supplier of steel prods, let me know...

        In Magical Service,
        Malaki

      • the_spanishpeacock@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 27 , May 17, 2007
          Darkwood Armory was doing them at one time....still might be

          Miguel

          Message 4 of 27 , May 17, 2007
            James Cunningham is on the list and he helped me with my crossbow.

            Here is a somewhat strange question, Does anyone out there have a
            period crossbow they dont shoot anymore or know of someone. Anyway if
            you have one or know of someone who does or you make them please let me
            know. Thank You. Sincerly Blackleg Gilmyn

            It's here! Your new message!
          • the_spanishpeacock@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 27 , May 17, 2007
              I've made a few.  Whatcha need?  There is also another gent in Atlantia that does them....Siegfried Sebastian Faust...I'll try to get his contact info if needed.

              From: "gilmyn" <gilmyn@...>

              Greetings good gentles,

            • Rapier3971@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , May 17, 2007
                Gilmyn,
                I make crossbows. What do you need?
                Pepin

                See what's free at AOL.com.
              • leaking pen

                  --
                  That which yields isn't always weak.
                • reza gilman
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                    Just a simple period crossbow that can be used legaly at Sca events for target shooting

                    Rapier3971@... wrote:
                    Gilmyn,
                    I make crossbows. What do you need?
                    Pepin

                    See what's free at AOL.com.

                    Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                  • Oakes, George
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 18, 2007

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                        Simple? In looks or construction? Do you want to make it yourself? or do you want someone to make one for you? I got 3 made right now that fit the bill.
                        Pepin

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                          I would like to make one myself. I have a complete woodshop, just need the plans/drawings/material list...

                          Peace
                          Gavin

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                            This will be third-hand information now, but I took an interest in making crossbows some years ago. Unfortunately that was as far as it got. I understand that there is a fellow in the Barony of Rivenstar (Middle Kingdom) who makes a number of period crossbows each year. I've heard a number of good things concerning his skill. Perhaps there is someone on the list from Rivenstar (or anywhere in the Midrealm) who can shortcut your search for him. Our kingdom's seneschal (Countess Kenna) had one of his crossbows when she was queen. If you contact him he would most likely direct you to his supplier.

                            Tracy Swanson <tstar2000@...> wrote:
                            I<snip>

                            The only problem that we encountered with the Crossbow Project was access to prods (the bow). We ordered a set of 13 from Alchem and a year later had still not received our order. If anyone knows of another supplier of steel prods, let me know...

                            In Magical Service,
                            Malaki
                            .

                            The world is too big a place for me to compete with everybody. The only person that I have to be better than is who I am today.
                            Col Sherman Potter
                            4077 MASH

                            The fish are biting.

                          • the_spanishpeacock@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                              Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                              e-mail sca@...
                                Simple, functional combat crossbows to super fancy target crossbows....he does tham all and they are quite smashing

                              Miguel

                              Message 14 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                                Gavin,
                                Where are you? I'm in Atlantia. Like I said, I just finished (3) period crossbows this year to sell at the events, but I will be willing to help you make one. If you are interested email me direct (rapier3971@...)
                                Pepin
                                PS: If you want to buy one I will be making another 4 before December.

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                                  Blackleg Gilmyn wrote about the availability of a crossbow, which got the thread started about making them. So I thought I'd post this link for plans for them:

                                  http://www.alcheminc.com/plan.gif

                                  That's the plan I used when I made mine.

                                  The same people offer some components for the bows, but not kits. These can be found at:

                                  http://www.alcheminc.com/crossbow.html

                                  Note the links at the bottom of the page to more detailed drawings of specific assemblies.

                                  --Johann von Drachenfels (John LaTorre)
                                • reza gilman
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                                    Simple looks and as inexpensive as possible...

                                    Rapier3971@aol. com wrote:
                                    Gilmyn,
                                    I make crossbows. What do you need?
                                    Pepin

                                    See what's free at AOL.com.

                                    Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                                      I make Crossbows too but have been going through a lot of steel prods.
                                      Plus! I am neck deep in Pennsic Stuff already and building crossbows are on
                                      a back(very) burner.

                                      James Cunningham

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 18, 2007
                                        As I said before, if you order from Alchem, expect a wait. The one prod that I did get from them is a fine example of a steel prod, but it took two years to get it. After a year of waiting for a set of 13 prods for the Crossbow Project and being told that I would have to wait until after Pensic (exactly what they told me a year earlier when I placed the order), I canceled the order.

                                        In Magical Service,
                                        Malaki

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 20, 2007
                                          The article on doing your own Crossbow Project is nearly completed. The only thing that I lack is scanning in the images and patterns, proof-reading, then converting it to a PDF. For good measure I thought I might include an article titled Carving 101. If this group has the ability to do so, I thought I might post both articles for everyone to enjoy. Since the carving article is already completed, I will try to post it as soon as I complete this post.

                                          In Magical Service,
                                          Malaki
                                        • Bill Schongar (bschonga)
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 22, 2007

                                            Not sure on pricing, but a local spring shop should be able to make something suitable.. I've been tempted to get in touch with someone to try it, and now hearing about the waits I'm even more tempted..

                                            -Liam

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 22, 2007
                                              We tried that route as well. The problem that we encountered there is that they tried to bend the spring steel to shape without first removing the temper, micro-fracturing the steel - then they wanted to double the price for this unusable product. You have to watch them to make sure they actually know what they are doing...

                                              ARTICLE UPDATE....
                                              The article has been finished, proofed and corrected. I only lack scanning the patterns and images. Hopefully it will be ready to post by the end of this week (the patterns have to be scanned, then reassembled due to the sized bed on my scanner). Hope you are enjoying the carving article in the mean time.

                                              In Magical Service,
                                              Malaki

                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 22, 2007
                                                Head down to Purcell - I think the name is Green's Welding, look for the
                                                sheet-metal silhouettes and re-bar cacti out front, west side of the
                                                road. Or hit any of the small, "blink and you miss it" towns outside of
                                                the metro area, you might accidentally find a welder/blacksmith who can
                                                do it.

                                                Genius often lies hidden in such out-of-the-way places. :-)

                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 22, 2007
                                                  what ARE the actual requirements of whats needed?

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 22, 2007
                                                    That is true! Thanks for the tip.

                                                    In Magical Service,
                                                    Malaki

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 22, 2007
                                                      The prod is made of 1/8" stock, tapering from 1" (where it is held to the stock) to 1/2" just before the tip. The tip of the steel prod that I have is shaped as a trefoil with a cylindrical knob extending 1/2" out as the center knob of the trefoil. This is a nice, decorative element that holds the string in place very nicely. The length of the prod is 34" (it is intended as a Whammo replacement, which is a few inches longer than standard). The draw length of my crossbow is 12" (again due to the Whammo configuration), from the string at rest to the cocked position. From what I have read, the standard is about a 9" draw. For a target crossbow you can have virtually any poundage you like, so long as you can draw it. At 12", my prod produces 110#, and at 20 yards will sometimes bury the bolt in the hay bail. Figure your poundage at the risk of non-scoring. For the poundage allowed on a combat crossbow, check your local requirements.

                                                      In Magical Service,
                                                      Malaki

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 22, 2007
                                                        Sorry - got called to dinner and forgot to mention that the prod, when right-side-up looks as though it is smiling. This is because the arms of the prod are raised from center about 1/4" - 1/2" so that the string will slide along the top of the stock with minimal friction. The prod is also set into the stock at a slight angle to enhance this offset, further reducing the drag, yet keeping contact with the stock.

                                                        While I am at it, the easiest way to gauge a prod's poundage is with a spring scale similar to what is used in a butcher shop. If you don't have such a scales available, install a hook into the ceiling of your garage (like those used to hang bicycles), hook the stirrup to the hook and place a set of bathroom scales on the floor directly underneath. Stand on the scales and take not of your weight. Grab a hold of the string with both hands and pull down until the string is even with the cocked position, then take note of the new reading on the scale. Subtract the second reading from the first and you have your prod's poundage.

                                                        In Magical Service,
                                                        Malaki

                                                        Tracy Swanson wrote:
                                                        > We tried that route as well. The problem that we encountered there is that
                                                        > they tried to bend the spring steel to shape without first removing the
                                                        > temper, micro-fracturing the steel - then they wanted to double the price
                                                        > for this unusable product. You have to watch them to make sure they actually
                                                        > know what they are doing...
                                                        >
                                                        > ARTICLE UPDATE....
                                                        > The article has been finished, proofed and corrected. I only lack scanning
                                                        > the patterns and images. Hopefully it will be ready to post by the end of
                                                        > this week (the patterns have to be scanned, then reassembled due to the
                                                        > sized bed on my scanner). Hope you are enjoying the carving article in the
                                                        > mean time.
                                                        >
                                                        > In Magical Service,
                                                        > Malaki

                                                      • Siegfried
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jun 7, 2007
                                                          You don't have to look too hard find my contact info ...

                                                          Siegfried

                                                          On 5/17/07, the_spanishpeacock@... <the_spanishpeacock@...> wrote:
                                                          I've made a few.  Whatcha need?  There is also another gent in Atlantia that does them....Siegfried Sebastian Faust...I'll try to get his contact info if needed.

                                                          THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust   -   http://crossbows.biz/
                                                          Barony of Highland Foorde   -   Baronial Archery Marshal
                                                          Kingdom of Atlantia   -   Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
                                                          http://eliw.com/  -   http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/