Re: [MedievalSawdust] Fw: Pennsylvania Code

  • Helen Schultz
    Message 1 of 26 , May 14, 2007
      Thank you for the clarification, Logan.  I guess I was having a dirty blonde day (my real hair color, by the way <grin>).  I'll try to remember all of this information you so kindly provided.  I will also try not to panic so easily <sheepish grin>.

      Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana)  http://narrental.home.comcast.net
      Middle Kingdom

      The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark."  -- Michaelangelo

    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 26 , May 14, 2007
        I am in charge of the Flaming Gryphon trailer.  It does weigh a lot.  It has new tires last year, I checked the bearings, and all the lights work, and with a new registration it will be "Pennsic Ready".  It is a single axel no brakes and has pushed me through a couple intersection when there is ice on the road.  Trailer towing is not for the unskilled or weak of heart.

        James Cunningham
        Baronial Chamberlain

        Message 3 of 26 , May 15, 2007
          Even if your state doesn't require brakes on a trailer weighing 2 or 3
          thousands pounds or more, it's a good idea to have them. Also, be
          extremely careful you don't overtax your hauling vehicle. The trip can
          be dangerous and you can damage your vehicle.

          One major thing to ALWAYS remember about trailers:

          Starting is Optional ..... STOPPING isn't. Electric brake controllers
          installed on a vehicle are about $125 - $150 (at least the one I got was
          and I use mine to control my horse trailer).

          A good trailer place will not charge you a lot (and, if you use them
          for all your trailer repair / supply business, probably nothing) to
          check out your trailer for you and verify the equipment is sound. One
          thing I had added to my horse trailer was additional reflective tape. I
          didn't want some fool to see the back of my truck go by in the dark and
          then slam into my trailer, not realizing it was following along. The
          lights and reflective tape started far enough back I had images of some
          fool on a motorcycle ending up riding in my trailer dressing room!

          Lia

          John Osterhage wrote:

          > Siegfried,
          >

          > If you check real close that section of the vehicle code was talking
          > about trailers more than 3,000 lbs.

        • Lisa Wiser
          Message 4 of 26 , May 15, 2007
            Ya know, $30 for a plate doesn't sound like all that much when you may
            need a quick way to determine which of those plain white X brand of
            trailers is yours .......

            Lia

            Bill McNutt wrote:

            > While this is true, it is my policy to always say “thank you officer,”
            > and lodge my protest with the Judge later.

          • Rebekah d'Avignon
            Message 5 of 26 , May 15, 2007
              That reflective tape shows up for a LONG ways (if you get the really good stuff). The box stores sell is and it's "ok", but for the professional stuff you can order it from Gall's in Lexington, KY. I'll stripe my car with it after I get a paint job.

              Lisa Wiser <lawiser@...> wrote:

              <snip>

              A good trailer place will not charge you a lot (and, if you use them for all your trailer repair / supply business, probably nothing) to check out your trailer for you and verify the equipment is sound. One thing I had added to my horse trailer was additional reflective tape. I didn't want some fool to see the back of my truck go by in the dark and then slam into my trailer, not realizing it was following along. The lights and reflective tape started far enough back I had images of some fool on a motorcycle ending up riding in my trailer dressing room!

              Lia
              .

              The world is too big a place for me to compete with everybody. The only person that I have to be better than is who I am today.
              Col Sherman Potter
              4077 MASH

              with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

            • WR
              Message 6 of 26 , May 15, 2007
                Lisa Wiser wrote:

                > One major thing to ALWAYS remember about trailers:
                >
                > Starting is Optional ..... STOPPING isn't.

                Second most important thing to remember about trailers:

                Murphy LOVES trailers! If anything can go wrong, it will - and usually
                in a most spectacular (and messy) manner.

                I'm sure that everyone on this list is of above-average intelligence and
                looks, etc etc - but on the off-hand chance that a lurker or three is
                reading and thinking "Hey, trailer is a good idea!" (or "Get a bigger
                vehicle, trailers are too much hassle!"):

                http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com/towingsafety00.html
              • Helen Schultz
                Message 7 of 26 , May 15, 2007
                  Thank you, this is a nifty site... I will look at it thoroughly before heading out to Pennsic this year... even though I have pulled a trailer to there for quite a few years.  I have a slightly smaller one this year, but I know the rules will still apply to most problem areas.

                  And, Murphy doesn't just love to mess with trailers... I know someone who lost his entire towing vehicle, and just barely unhooked his trailer because of some crossed wires... on his way to Pennsic, too.  Lost everything that was IN the vehicle (which was fairly large, I understand...).

                  ~~ Katarina Helene

                  > One major thing to ALWAYS remember about trailers:
                  >
                  > Starting is Optional ..... STOPPING isn't.

                  Second most important thing to remember about trailers:

                  Murphy LOVES trailers! If anything can go wrong, it will - and usually
                  in a most spectacular (and messy) manner.

                  I'm sure that everyone on this list is of above-average intelligence and
                  looks, etc etc - but on the off-hand chance that a lurker or three is
                  reading and thinking "Hey, trailer is a good idea!" (or "Get a bigger
                  vehicle, trailers are too much hassle!"):

                  http://www.lowcostt railersupplies. com/towingsafety 00.html

                • Ralph Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 15, 2007
                    Since we appear to be on the topic of trailers...

                    There is a thing called "Tow Rating", which is a measure of how much
                    the vehicle safely tow. Please note, tow rating is not just about
                    POWER, it's also the ability to handle and stop the trailer in
                    question (or why short wheel-base SUVs, even with V8's aren't really
                    good tow vehicles).

                    A lot of smaller vehicles (like the kind many people tow the small 4x4
                    and 4x8 utility trailers with), have, in their tow ratings specs the
                    words "Trailer brakes required"

                    Also, the towing laws vary, a lot, from state to state. In general,
                    the laws only apply if you're vehicle is registered in that state.
                    HOWEVER, if the Officer decides it's a SAFETY ISSUE, all bets are off
                    (example, towing a 5000 lb trailer with a compact car).

                    TTFN
                    Ralg (who will be towing a 9000 lb trailer to this weekend's AnTir May
                    Crown)
                  • Siegfried
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 21, 2007

                           (iii)   *A trailer of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds,* if the gross weight of the trailer does not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle.

                      So if yours is in that range you should be ok

                      I missed that ... mines 2990 ;)

                      Siegfried

                      THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust   -   http://crossbows.biz/
                      Barony of Highland Foorde   -   Baronial Archery Marshal
                      Kingdom of Atlantia   -   Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
                      http://eliw.com/  -  http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/
                    • JBRMM266@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 21, 2007
                        Do you live in PA?

                        A point that was made some time back (on another list, apparently) is, that those rules apply only to trailers registered in Pennsylvania . . .

                        Your servant aye
                        Donal

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 22, 2007
                          No, Maryland ... but I swear when I read the rules it stated that this was for 'any trailer on the road' ... not just registered in PA.

                          In any case, it seems my trailer is safe ;)

                          Siegfried - Who likes his new trailer.

                          On 5/21/07, JBRMM266@... <JBRMM266@...> wrote:
                          Do you live in PA?

                          A point that was made some time back (on another list, apparently) is, that those rules apply only to trailers registered in Pennsylvania . . .

                          Your servant aye
                          Donal

                               (iii)   *A trailer of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds,* if the gross weight of the trailer does not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle.

                          So if yours is in that range you should be ok

                          I missed that ... mines 2990 ;)

                          Siegfried

                          THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust   -   http://crossbows.biz/
                          Barony of Highland Foorde   -   Baronial Archery Marshal
                          Kingdom of Atlantia   -   Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
                          http://eliw.com/  -   http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

                          AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com .