Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Is willow wood good for anything

  • Karl Christoffers
    Message 1 of 12 , May 6, 2007
      According to David Kortier, a harpmaker out of Duluth,
      Minnesota, in his article on the building of
      historically correct Trinity College Harp replicas
      http://www.kortier.com/subpages/studtrin.htm
      period wire strung harps had willow bodies, hollowed
      out of solid balks of willow. You might be able to
      find a harpmaker interested in the challange if you
      are not.

      -Malcolm macGregor

      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Kristine
      > Elliott"
      > <souriete@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an
      > enormous willow come
      > > down and there are long sections of sound wood.

    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 12 , May 7, 2007
        I read where willow was once used regularly for making artificial limbs. Now this may have been replaced by plastics, but you could use it for making molds.

        langdon_g <Langdon_G@...> wrote:
        Pattens. You need to carve pattens from them. Since it is a softer wood
        they will not slip like harder wood (and are much quiter than, say oh,
        White Oak.)
        The blocks would be especially good for the raised pattens that are 2-
        3 " tall.

        Just my thoughts,
        Langdon (BMDL)

        <souriete@.. .> wrote:

        > Is willow wood good for anything? We just had an enormous willow come
        > down and there are long sections of sound wood.

        The world is too big a place for me to compete with everybody. The only person that I have to be better than is who I am today.
        Col Sherman Potter
        4077 MASH

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...

      • Kristine Elliott
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18, 2007
          I just wanted to send a belated, but heartfelt thank you to those who
          answered my query below. You gave me a lot of options I had no idea
          existed.

          Thank you very much,

          Scolastica

          --
          http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

          If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
          'em how to dance funny. Billy C. Wirtz